Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Computer constantly busy

This is a discussion on Computer constantly busy within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer has ben constantly busy for a few days. the HDD indicator light on the front of my PC

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Evil

My computer has ben constantly busy for a few days. the HDD indicator light on the front of my PC is always on and i can hear my HDD working. My computer is being slowed down alot. My cpu usage has stayed between 10% and 20%. I have included screen shots of taskmanager.

The vb6.exe is Visual basic i turned it off when i started taking screen shots and it still didnt stop. I tried stoping some services but that just caused my PC to restart. I shut down a system servie and Windos didnt like it. can someone please help?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

ags131,

The problem isn't really anything hogging up your PC's resources - although you might want to disable INETINFO if you're not using IIS.

Your REAL problem is the fact that you've only got 256MB of RAM - bare bones when it comes to running XP. I would recommend upgrading to at least 1GB. You hard drive is thrashing because XP is trying to simulate memory "virtual" memory to accomodate all of the normal running processes and services.

Upgrading your PC from 256MB to at least 1GB would dramatically increase the performance and eliminate this paging/thrashing that you're seeing with your hard drive.

- John

Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

I totally agree with Johnhook. The commit charge is higher than the amount of physical memory which means that the system is constantly swapping between the hard drive and ram.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

It was running very fast until a few dsays ago. And i use IIS as a server on my PC. Is INETINFO required?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Tech Hardware Team

ags131,

Inetinfo.exe is a helper service of IIS - the web server you have installed on your PC. This could have been installed as a part of MS Front Page. Unfortunately, if you disable inetinfo, you are unable to start and stop the IIS web server process on your PC. If you don't NEED a webserver on your PC, uninstall IIS and/or Frontpage.

- John
Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I have just used process explorer and traced the network connections INETINFO was using and found that a domain that was linked to my IP was constantly comunicating. after disableing the domain on the web INETINFO disconnected and my computer is back to normal. Thanks for the help.