Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

colors not printing right...not a printer problem

This is a discussion on colors not printing right...not a printer problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am totally confused and frustrated, so I hope someone here can help me. Back in the spring, I started

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am totally confused and frustrated, so I hope someone here can help me.

Back in the spring, I started having problems with my printer, or at least that's what I thought at the time. I had an HP PSC500 and had never had any problems before, but suddenly the colors were coming out all wrong. I tried replacing the ink cartridges, reinstalling the printer, etc.....everything I could think of....and nothing worked so I finally decided the printer was just tired and gave up.

About 4 or 5 months ago, I replaced the printer with an Epson Stylus CX4800 and it worked perfectly.....until a few days ago. Now I suddenly have the same problem with it that I had with the old printer, which leads me to believe that it's not the printer that's the problem. Nothing at all had been changed on my computer recently, unless it was automatic Windows updates that I didn't notice and I really don't think that has happened in the last few days either.

This morning it hit me that I had just opened a new pack of paper the other day, so I tested it with new and old paper and it made no difference. I tried using the MS troubleshooter and got nowhere. I tried deleting the printer and reinstalling it, and that didn't help either. Then I restored the computer back to last week when I know it was working correctly and that did no good either.

This printer uses 4 ink cartridges...black, magenta, cyan and yellow. Black works fine, and blues, greens and yellows seem to show up, but nothing red or pink shows up. If I print something that is supposed to be red, it comes out very pale yellow on the printed copy. This is exactly the same way it happened with the old printer, which used one black cartridge and one color cartridge. All of my cartridges are at least half full and there's no evidence of the nozzles being clogged or anything like that.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? If this is an issue with Windows XP and it was corrected when I installed the new printer, why would it not correct it when I delete and reinstall it? Could it possibly make a difference if I physically disconnect the printer cable and then reinstall it? I'm so confused at this point that I have no idea what else to try. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Personally I would contact Epson as it would still be under warranty. They should guide you step by step through all the tricks they have to isolate the problem

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Is this a USB printer or parallel port printer? Is the new Epson using the same cable as the HP? Is the new Epson using the same port (on the PC) as the HP?

Lydokane
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to donie Send a message via MSN to donie
Check for any updated drivers for your printer it will only take a momment and rule out one problem
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Hey, I just noticed that this thread was started on 11/2/2006!

What the heck!?

Lydokane