Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Clone/Backup Dell Restore Partition?

This is a discussion on Clone/Backup Dell Restore Partition? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell XPS800 which shipped with XP Pro Media Center Edition. Lost the disks in a move last

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell XPS800 which shipped with XP Pro Media Center Edition. Lost the disks in a move last year. Requested replacement disks from Dell, but all they had were XP Pro non-media center (which they shipped). So I backed up and did a restore to factory state from the 3rd partition (Ctrl-F11). All is well UNTIL the inevitable HD failure, so, is there a way to make a bootable clone/copy of the restore partition as a recovery CD or DVD since the partition is FAT32 and hidden? I have been able to determine it was created by Norton Ghost v 8.5 . And yes, I am purchasing a second identical drive to do a full XXClone, but HDs are still not a true backup and I hate the install/uninstall hassle of Norton(Symantec).

Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi jagsrus and welcome to TSF !

Can you still boot within Windows ? See if there's some preinstalled program in the start menu that allows to create backup/recovery CD's, it's not available for all models though.

What's the brand and model of the failing hard drive ? Some hard drive manufacturer's utility softwares can make a 1:1 copy of the whole drive to another drive.

I've never tried to create a recovery CD from the backup partition using something else than the preinstalled program made specifically for that purpose so can't help much with that. I asked the question once about cloning a whole drive content and got this reply, don't know if it'll help.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, but you miss the point entirely. I HAVE recovered from a crash using the 3rd partition back to the factory installed Media Center Pro Edition. What I am trying to do is preparefor for any future HD failure (it will happen eventually) and I want a useable COPY of the Dell factory installed recovery partition because Dell no longer has an exact match for my service tag. I want to copy or clone or ISO the existing 3rd partition (hidden, Fat32 not NTFS on and NTFS drive and you need a basic understanding of that quandry and the Dell protocol which is a ghost image with a Dell recovery utility) for any future blessings of the BSOD from XP. No guesses please, just a pro answer with details.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I want a useable COPY of the Dell factory installed recovery partition because Dell no longer has an exact match for my service tag
Well, is there some preinstalled utility that allows you to create a recovery CD or not ? Can't find Dell's support page for the XPS 800.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Klint Send a message via MSN to Klint Send a message via Yahoo to Klint

Well after you recovered why don't you just use a utility and make an image of your current conf (while its working) and burn that to a cd and put it in a fire proof case in side of a fire proof safe under the house in the ground in a water proof container? :)
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Here's how to unhide the FAT32 recovery partition so you can browse the files and export the ghost image :
Quote:
To save a copy of the Ghost backup image onto a DVD, you must first gain access to the DSR partition. Note this procedure requires a DVD burner, as the files are too large to fit on CD.

The following procedure can be used to save a copy of the Ghost image from a DSR-DOS partition.

1. Obtain the ptedit32.exe utility.

2. Expose the restore partition. From XP, launch ptedit32.exe and use it to change the 'Type' code of the third partition from 'DB' to '0C'. (Note: you will not be rebooting into DOS, so do not change the active partition.) XP will now recognize this as an ordinary FAT32 partition, so reboot and XP should give the new partition a drive letter. With a drive letter, you can easily access the files on the partition.

3. Copy the Ghost image. Copy the following files from the restore partition to DVD:
bin\mouse.exe, bin\recover.exe, img\fi.gho, and any img\fi00000*.ghs files.

4. Rehide the restore partition. Launch ptedit32 again and change the 'Type' code from '0C' back to 'DB'. Reboot and the restore partition should be hidden again.

If you should ever need to restore from this DVD, you would boot from a DOS boot disk that includes CD support (such as the Dsrfix CD or an ordinary Win98 boot floppy), switch to the CD/DVD drive letter, load the mouse driver, then launch recover.exe. From here you would manually guide recover.exe through the process of restoring the fi.gho image, just like you would in Ghost 2003.

Note: to do a "partition-from-image" restore, recover.exe expects the destination partition to exist already. If you are upgrading to a new, unpartitioned hard disk, use your favorite method to create a partition before restoring the contents into it from the image. Partition size is not critical, as long as it is large enough for the contents of the image.
Source (with additional pics) : http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm

You could try to use Norton Ghost 8.5 or prior to create a bootable DVD with the image but can't tell you whether that'll work.

Here's more informations on how to restore the image :
Quote:
Manually Restoring the Ghost Image (DSR-DOS)

1. Obtain the ptedit.exe utility. Copy the file to some place you will be able to run it from when booted to DOS, such as a floppy disk, CD, or USB flash drive.

2. Bypass the Dell MBR. Boot to DOS, load a mouse driver, and run ptedit. Use ptedit to change the 'Type' code of the third partition from 'DB' to '0C'. Make the third partition active by changing the 'Boot' indicator to '80'. (Note there must be only one '80', so zero out the '80' in any other rows.) Now when you reboot, the third partition will become the C: partition.

3. Boot to DOS. You cannot boot directly from the third partition because you won't be able to keep its autoexec.bat file from running automatically. So boot from a Win98 boot disk. Note a DOS 6.2 or Win95 boot disk will not be able to access the third partition because of its FAT32 format, so make sure you use a Win98 or ME boot disk. Once you've booted to (usually) the A: prompt, switch to C: and you should be able to see all files in the restore partition.

4. Restore the Ghost image. Launch c:\bin\recover.exe. Locate the source file, c:\img\fi.gho, and restore it to the disk's second partition. (See here for step-by-step instructions.)

Warning: Do not use c:\bat\recover.bat. This is a script file to run recover.exe without user intervention while within the DSR environment. Since you are not letting DSR go through it's normal system pre-checks, it is unwise to let recover.exe run without user intervention.

5. Restore the partition table. Launch ptedit again and change the partition-type bytes to their regular values (DE, 07, and DB) and make the second partition the active partition.

The restored Windows partition will startup the next time the computer is booted.
Source : http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm

Needed utilities :
Ptedit32
Dsrfix bootable CD
The dsrfix iso contains ptedit.exe. Google for a dos mouse driver and add it on the image, easily done with imgburn.

Practice on a blank hard drive and see how it goes. The partitions will need to exist beforehand.

More informations :
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

I created a boot DVD for a Dell Inspiron 9300 with the recovery image on it. I used a DOS 6.22 image with imgburn to make the DVD bootable and I copied the .gho and .ghs files from the recovery partition. For some reason when I run recover.exe, it sees the image as 76GB and makes me select the whole disk to restore to. The original hard disk was 76GB. It was failing and had to be replaced.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

See if anything here helps:

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

Edit . . never mind . . justpassingby had the same link . .

Closed Thread