Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Cleaning up the system tray?

This is a discussion on Cleaning up the system tray? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have windows xp pro on a dell m70 laptop. Recently my system tray has become a mess, so

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I have windows xp pro on a dell m70 laptop. Recently my system tray has become a mess, so i've been going through and getting rid of things that I don't need. I've got everything that's unneeded removed or disabled, but I can't get rid of the "safely remove hardware" icon in my system tray. The hardware that it detects is my dvd+-rw drive, and I don't intend to ever remove it. Is there a way I can get this out of my system tray?
Thanks for any help!

P.S. I know that it is possible to "hide inactive icons," but that doesn't really fix the problem since its still there, just behind the "double arrow" expand symbol.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf
Try right-clicking the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide in the Behavior column next to it (press OK and Apply to back out).

I borrowed this from another site, so I don't know first hand if it's right, but it's certainly worth a shot.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Try right-clicking the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide in the Behavior column next to it (press OK and Apply to back out).

I borrowed this from another site, so I don't know first hand if it's right, but it's certainly worth a shot.

This will always keep the icon hiden in the sys tray, but still will always be there. To get ride of it all together you would have to get ride of hotplug.dll or have it unload at startup to get ride of the icon.

thats the only thing I can think of right now.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

O.K. Thanks for everyones help!