Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Chkdsk error message.

This is a discussion on Chkdsk error message. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Running Win XP on boot up, Chkdsk scans but stops abruptly, message says : error and computer now starts up

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Running Win XP on boot up, Chkdsk scans but stops abruptly, message says : error and computer now starts up normally. When I run avast.exe, it says scan completed successfully but file: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgthk.sys , is suspious. Then when I run Fix It Utilities 5 , it says : C:\Windows Temp\toolbar-log.txt ,is corrupt and unreadable.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgthk.sys , is suspious
This is a DirectX driver from Microsoft, nothing suspicious.
Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Add Remove Programs, uninstall all Toolbar programs (Ask Toolbar, Google Toolbar etc) Then download CCleaner Analyze your drive and Run Cleaner with out any browsers open. This will safely remove any Temp files. follow this up with a full scan with Malwarebytes. When that is done, go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. In the Command Prompt window type Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will again run but it should complete.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHKDSK? What is the log saying? Is my SSD data safe?
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files...
techknight1999 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 1 09-10-2011 09:12 PM
[SOLVED] Corrupted files in Opera and Symantec and Chkdsk won't work, HELP!!!
Okay, my trouble began on Sunday night, when there was an instance of me having to force reboot the computer. I turned it back on, chkdsk wanted to run and I circumvented it. So, later on Sunday night or Monday night I keep getting speech balloon warnings telling me things like ...
compintrouble Windows XP Support 15 09-01-2011 08:18 PM
XP system won't boot/shuts down during chkdsk
1. XP Pro SP2 2. I have robust and current firewall and virus protection. 3. My problems started when I attempted to reboot my system yesterday. 4. Reboot got no farther than displaying the background image on my desktop, then hung. 5. I restarted in Safe Mode
DaveSchuler Windows XP Support 0 08-12-2011 05:56 AM
Windows 2008 Server doesn't complete chkdsk
-Dell Poweredge 2950 with 4GB memory. -2XDell Powervault MD1000 -windows 2008 R2 32 bit -4TB data on the Powervault MD1000 -RAID5 on the Powervault There was a power outage and after the power outage the Dell Poweredge wouldn't see the Powervault storage drives. After some configuration I...
Lance1977 Windows Servers 2 05-25-2011 08:04 PM
CHKDSK problem - it seems ineffective
CHKDSK issue question: I think I have a problem with my PC. CHDSK doesn't work right. Allow me to explain the problem: I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion a1250n Computer - AMD Athlon 3800+ - 2.4 GHz - 1024MB - 250GB - DVD-RW/CDRW Combo Drive and DVD Drive - 9-1 Media Reader - 56K Modem -...
andrew2 Windows XP Support 2 03-21-2011 10:56 AM