Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

can't wake from standby

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  justpassingby 
#1 ·
Problem is I can't wake computer from standby. It goes to standby when I press the button marked "sleep" but will not wake up when I press the "wake up" button. I would be grateful for any advice . Thanks!

#2 ·
u have to be a bit more elaborate with your explanation. does the whole system actualy wake up ? can u hear fans spinnin HDD working lights on keyboard/mouse/PC leds? but nothing on the screen?

if thats the issue one other member here i just read about said it was his graphics card drivers..he rolled back one and problem seem to have gone.

with me, i started having that same problem with my older comp. it wouldnt wake fully from standby like mentioned above...screen black. but this only happened after i installed a new PSU. and updated to drivers to my card. then i started to get CMOS errors on startup and couldnt even reset BIOS or anything...5year old Mobo....so i abandoned and build a new machine..

only thing i carried over was my PSU (Antec Earthwatt 500) rest is all new. with XP home sp2. i had this problem once and it was even worse..

my system was attempting to start from standbuy ..(Lights on an everything) but after 6sec or so it would shut down (or go back to stanby) briefly -for 2 secs- then start back up...then off then on again..it kept doing this till i manually reset it....no errors no nothing.

hasnt donne it again since then. but i switched my PSU cause according to PSU calc i need 490W and im at 500max with the Antec. since im going Crossfire ill get a 750w+.

#3 ·
Hi pedrwilliams and welcome to TSF !

What's your computer's brand and model ? Make sure that you've installed all the latest drivers for your hardware and all the latest critical updates from Windows update.

Go to start => run and type chkdsk c: /R. You'll be prompted to restart the computer, tell us about the scan's results. If you missed them you'll find them in the event viewer (start => run => eventvwr.msc), application section, in the corresponding winlogon entry (highlight then use ctrl+c/ctrl+v to copy paste).

How much free space do you have on the system drive? Right-click the c: drive => properties.

This article from microsoft may help :
How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP

See if this hotfix applies to your issue :
The computer does not resume from hibernation or does not Wake-on-LAN from standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.