Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can't send emails with Outlook Express

This is a discussion on Can't send emails with Outlook Express within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've got an annoying problem with Outlook Express 6 that I hope someone can help with. I can receive

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Send a message via MSN to JohnthePilot

Hi,
I've got an annoying problem with Outlook Express 6 that I hope someone can help with. I can receive emails, but if I try to send I get the following message:

Quote:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'johnthepilot@blueyonder.co.uk'. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Administrative prohibition - relaying not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
I've contacted my ISP and they say the problem must be with OE. At least I know all my account settings are correct. I've tried sending to the same email address from Webmail on my ISPs server and that works fine. This problem coincided with a change of router, but I can't see how that could cause this problem.

Any suggestions (except improper ones ] would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Pilot.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well, you don't mention who your ISP is, but Outlook Express is indeed sending the emails. It is the server that belongs to blueyonder.co.uk that is rejecting the email. Is it possible that you have the wrong email address? Conatact blueyonder about the issue would be my next recommendation.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Hi Willis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Willis View Post
Well, you don't mention who your ISP is
Well, I did, sort of, in the quote. It's blueyonder (which is actually Telewest).

Quote:
but Outlook Express is indeed sending the emails. It is the server that belongs to blueyonder.co.uk that is rejecting the email.
Well, Telewest say not. It's smtp.blueyonder.co.uk that's rejecting them and Telewest say that is OE. They say there's nothing wrong at their end.

Quote:
Is it possible that you have the wrong email address? Conatact blueyonder about the issue would be my next recommendation.
No, the address is correct. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I have contacted my ISP and I have sent an email to the same address successfully from the ISP's server, so something is wrong at my end. I've got three machines on this network, and the other two have different ISPs but they have the same problem which is why I mentioned the router, although I can't for the life of me think how that could be the problem.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
If you re-read my post, you'll see that I have contacted my ISP and I have sent an email to the same address successfully from the ISP's server, so something is wrong at my end.
Yes, I got that, but you didn't say this was happening wth your own ISP. Now I understand the issue better.

Are you able to send any emails successfully through this machine to non-blueyonder addresses? If so, can you send to any other blueyonder addresses successfully (assuming you know any legitimate blueyonder addresses besides your own)?

Here are some articles pertaining to your issue. I put them in the apparent order of relevance. Let me know if they help at all.

https://www.onlinesupportweb.com/ind...kbarticleid=22

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/...x800ccc79.html

http://support.mfm.com/support/troub...error_550.html

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1593hq.html
Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

When this happened to me:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...lem-89463.html

It may help
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Thank you both for your replies. I've now sorted the problem on my machine. It was simply a case of checking the "My server needs authentication" box under Tools>accounts>properties>servers. This has happened since the new router was installed. However, I still can't sort out the problem on the other two computers which are both on Freeserve. I'll contact Freeserve before I do anything else.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

I've now been in touch with Orange (who own Freeserve). Freeserve has now become Wanadoo - very complicated - so I've made the necessary changes. Still can't send. The Orange techie thinks it may be a problem with the server and I have to ring back in 24 hours to check. I'll post the outcome.

Closed Thread