Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can't play CNN videos

This is a discussion on Can't play CNN videos within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

My PC is split in two user accounts. This problem only occurs in my side; my wife’s side does not have this problem.

I noticed just a few days ago that I couldn’t watch the videos from CNN. I upgraded my player to WMP 11 but it made no difference. I can watch the CNN live video, but not the canned CNN video. When I first noticed the problem there was an exclamation point inside a small triangle and an “error on page” message showing in the bottom left corner of my screen.

I use Microsoft XP 2000, SP3.

Any suggestions.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF....

There appears to be a turner media player plug-in to download and install try here for it:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/services...setup_3.1f.exe

Old 11-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

ThorXP,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I installed the TBS WMP Plug-in, rebooted and tried but still I get the error message and the videos can't be played.
antonio714
Old 11-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
My PC is split in two user accounts. This problem only occurs in my side; my wife’s side does not have this problem.
On the two accounts by chance is yours a limited account ?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Cry

We both are Computer Administrators.

One of the things I checked was whether or not my Advanced Internet Options (AIO) were different from hers. There was no difference, but in my AIO, under Security, I cannot check the box "Check for server certificate revocation" (that line is in a lighter color than the rest of the lines). Her AIO doesn't have that line checked, but in her side it can be checked in and off, but not in my side.

In my side there is an asterisk at the line "Check for server certificate revocation" and the asterisk states "Some settings are managed by your Systems Administrator" which, since I cannot change that particular setting, implies that I am not a Systems Administrator.

Could it be that I am a Computer Administrator, but not a Systems Administrator?

If there is a difference, and I am not a Systems Administrator I have no idea how I can become one.

When I looked at the Computer Properties, I noticed that it is registered to my wife, not to both. She is the one that bought the computer. She had a computer set up at home by her employer, which we could use for personal purposes. When she changed jobs her employer took the computer back and we had to buy one of our own. We transferred all the contents of the company computer to the one we had purchased (from Dell). It was registered under her name.

I am not a computer connoisseur, but my wife is less knowledgeable than me, and I am sure she had not changed any settings in the Advanced Internet Options.

I can install any software I want in my side; at work I cannot even change the clock settings in my office computer! The only restriction that I can see is that I cannot reset the "server cerificate revocation" box.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

Cry

We both are Computer Administrators.

One of the things I checked was whether or not my Advanced Internet Options (AIO) were different from hers. There was no difference, but in my AIO, under Security, I cannot check the box "Check for server certificate revocation" (that line is in a lighter color than the rest of the lines). Her AIO doesn't have that line checked, but in her side it can be checked in and off, but not in my side.

In my side there is an asterisk at the line "Check for server certificate revocation" and the asterisk states "Some settings are managed by your Systems Administrator" which, since I cannot change that particular setting, implies that I am not a Systems Administrator.

Could it be that I am a Computer Administrator, but not a Systems Administrator?

If there is a difference, and I am not a Systems Administrator I have no idea how I can become one.

When I looked at the Computer Properties, I noticed that it is registered to my wife, not to both. She is the one that bought the computer. She had a computer set up at home by her employer, which we could use for personal purposes. When she changed jobs her employer took the computer back and we had to buy one of our own. We transferred all the contents of the company computer to the one we had purchased (from Dell). It was registered under her name.

I am not a computer connoisseur, but my wife is less knowledgeable than me, and I am sure she had not changed any settings in the Advanced Internet Options.

I can install any software I want in my side; at work I cannot even change the clock settings in my office computer! The only restriction that I can see is that I cannot reset the "server cerificate revocation" box
Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks to Dave I got the solution to my problem:

Try going to Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom, Userdata persistenceand change it to Disable and restart IE7.
DaveCNN.com Technical Support
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds good but here is a quirk, Mine is set to active and I have the CNN Videos working just fine. If I disable it then I lose the CNN Videos from playing. This is weird but as long as it works it is fine. Tell Dave from CNN that we all thank him.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Registered Member

ThorXP,

You are right, my wife's side is set to active and the CNN Videos play fine in her side, and her main CNN.com page doesn't have an "error on page" message, but mine does, now.

I don't care about that error message, as least for now, because I can still read the CNN.com page and access every link in it without problems.

Who can understand computers?

I would let Dave know about this apparent contradiction.

Saludos,

antonio714
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Very good and thank you
Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio714 View Post
Thanks to Dave I got the solution to my problem:

Try going to Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom, Userdata persistenceand change it to Disable and restart IE7.
DaveCNN.com Technical Support
Would love to hug you so hard your eyeballs pop!!!! The skies have opened, the angels are singing, and you gave me the answer I have been seeking for over a week. I spent 5 hours online with an HP technician, uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Players, IE versions, and Windows Media Players until I wanted to upchuck!!!! Thank you so much. You are 'the man". Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks for the post. It worked, so now I can play the CNN videos again.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Registered Member

I found out that CNN changed the link. The new link is http://edition.cnn.com/video/
Videos work great now.