Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't overwrite xp with xp?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hey guys? yah im sort of a noob, but for the longest time ive been meaning to sort of..start new, actually back to factory settings, even though i had a friend build this computer for me. so i just ordered a Western Digital 320 GH HDD to store all my movies/files/songs/stuff on, so i can finally do it. But last time i tried, i put in my XP disk and it came up with the menu and i clicked install and it said since i already has Windows XP on my system i couldnt do it without uninstalling it, so i was curious, how would i go about doing that? I tried going to CMD prompt thing and doing..my mind is blank atm its like reformatting? i guess through some command i got from the net, but it wouldnt let me for some reason! So whats the right way to go about doing this? Thanks alot in advance!

#2 ·
boot from the xp cd and choose install
ignore the first repair option and continue with install
when windows finds the previous installation then do the repair
if you have installed sp2 and your xp disk does not contain it you will need to slipstream it into the disk first,or it will only offer the clean install and you will lose everything by taking this option
the repair will leave everything intact

#3 ·
Alright thanks for your help and response, but im still a little confused. I dont mind losing any info, i want complete factory settings in fact. Also, i have Windows fully updated, and the disk is a little old so it doesn't have any of the newer updates on it, so do u mind making your message a little clearer please? like maybe steps, sorry if im asking too much but i dont really understand fully what you are saying..like slipstreaming etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.