Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can't Open nVidia Control Panel

This is a discussion on Can't Open nVidia Control Panel within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm having a fairly long time problem of not being able to access the nVidia Control Panel for my GeForce

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm having a fairly long time problem of not being able to access the nVidia Control Panel for my GeForce 6800. I was able to at one time, but after installing a newer driver version, I've lost the ability to access the control panel and I have not yet been able to access it again. When I try to load it, I get the waiting cursor, but after a few seconds, it reverts back and noting loads. The last version that I believe I had the control panel working was 162.18, and I think it stopped working when I tried to update from that to 163.75, but I can't be sure of it. I have 169.21 right now.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Mentor Emeritus, Microsoft Support

OS: Windows XP Home & Pro. Sp3 / both compleatly updated

My System

Send a message via MSN to mike2020learnin

hello ,

what you may have done is down loaded the wrong drivers for your card ??

i have done this befor !!

so go back to the home site for your card & compare the versions

also you may need a patch for the upgrade from the home site for the card ??

now when installing the new drivers & software for the card did you uninstall the older version then reboot & install the newer version then reboot

just need to ask

also

now what i need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they

now go to the (event veiwer) this is thru the (administrator tools) in the control panel
here you will find 3 to 4 subcatagories

you will want to check each of them for this is where windows keeps track of all errors
now you will want to make notes of the errors that have been recorded ( you do not have to make notes of double entries just of the dates of their happenings & how many there is)
you will get more information on the errors if you (right) click them / then select properties

then get back to us

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows 98/ ME / NT 4.0 / 2000

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

I apologize for this very late reply, but circumstances caused me to be unable to check these points quickly, which caused me to forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2020learnin View Post
hello ,

what you may have done is down loaded the wrong drivers for your card ??

i have done this befor !!
I do not believe so. I've always used the path (on their driver page) GeForce -> GeForce 6 Series -> Windows XP for my GeForce 6800. However, I did have a problem with one of the drivers I downloaded from them a while back. I can't recall the exact version, but I think it was just before 163.71. I had computer crashes almost every day with it. I also think that's when I could no longer access the control panel. I've also used the nVidia automatic driver check for this version (169.21), which says that the one I downloaded from there is the most current one.

Quote:
so go back to the home site for your card & compare the versions

also you may need a patch for the upgrade from the home site for the card ??
I have not seen anything on the site that indicates that I need more software.

Quote:
now when installing the new drivers & software for the card did you uninstall the older version then reboot & install the newer version then reboot

just need to ask
I didn't do that for most of the earlier updates (and that may have been what caused the problem described above), but I did make sure to do that for the latest version. Also, when I first tried to access the control panel after installing 169.21, I got a splash screen, but nothing loaded up. Subsequent attempts have not showed the splash screen or anything else for that matter.

Quote:
now what i need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they
There are no marks next to any of my devices.

Quote:
now go to the (event veiwer) this is thru the (administrator tools) in the control panel
here you will find 3 to 4 subcatagories

you will want to check each of them for this is where windows keeps track of all errors
now you will want to make notes of the errors that have been recorded ( you do not have to make notes of double entries just of the dates of their happenings & how many there is)
you will get more information on the errors if you (right) click them / then select properties

then get back to us
Every time I start my computer, I have a Service Control Manager error with this text: "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: nvraid"

I also had a system crash today, the first one in a long time (which reminded me about this). It was a "DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error, which I believe was the same error that I got when I was frequently crashing as described earlier (unfortunately, my error log seems to only go back less than 2 months).

There are also some scattered errors for W32Time, SChannel, and DCOM.