Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can't install java update

This is a discussion on Can't install java update within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I'm running windows xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 3. I was trying to install java 6

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
I'm running windows xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 3.
I was trying to install java 6 update 25 and am not able to do so. I have been googling all day to find a resolution to my problem.

From the java website, I click on download java, the program is saved and I open the containing folder and click on the jxpiinstall icon.
I get welcome to java, I click on agree and install. A dialogue box pops up that says:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'jre1.6.0_11-c.msi' in the box below.

use source:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_11\.

I click ok and get the message,

The path C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_11\ cannot be found. verify that you have access to this location and try again or try to find the installation package 'jre1.6.0_11-c.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Java(TM) 6 update 11.

When I hit cancel, I get:
Error 1714. the older version of java(TM) 6 update 25 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group.

I have tried everything I could find to remove any old traces of java and install the update, nothing has worked. I don't know what else to do. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Download & install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from here:
|MG| Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 Download

Run it to produce a list of your applications which were installed from an .msi package.
Select the installed Java version that won't uninstall, then click "Remove".

Now try installing the Java update.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Wow! Worked like a charm pip22!

Thank you so much for your help!