Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can't find Defrag or Clean Disk

This is a discussion on Can't find Defrag or Clean Disk within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I went to my Start> Accessories> System Tools to look for my defrag and Clean Disk and neither one appears

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I went to my Start> Accessories> System Tools to look for my defrag and Clean Disk and neither one appears to be there.

I did a search for both on my C drive and came up empty handed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

For Defrag go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and press enter
For Disk Cleanup go to Start/Run and type cleanmgr and press enter.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks!

For that matter, I can't find the Windows Update shortcut that usually shows up in System Tools.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

I do appreciate the code commands, but I'm more of a shortcut kind of guy, not really a code warrior.

Is there a way to find the old shortcuts and/or menu selections?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
For Defrag go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and press enter
For Disk Cleanup go to Start/Run and type cleanmgr and press enter.
If you would have clicked the links which are also the commands and not really code, if would take you to the Microsoft Web pages describing 3 different ways to find these programs. Once you find them right click the executable and choose to Send To Desktop (make shortcut) and it will put a shortcut on your Desktop.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I think my confusion between commands and codes indicates why I probably need shortcuts. I honestly had no idea that there was a distinction. Regardless, I understand commands about as much as I understand code, which is to say not at all.

The links you've posted, doesn't really help someone at my level. Essentially they're telling me to find something that I don't know how to find.

For instance, when I go to the defrag link, and attempt method #1, I right click on the C drive, choose properties, go to the tools tab, and I see the Defrag button there, but right clicking on it, or attempting to click and drag it to the desktop as a shortcut, just doesn't work.

When I attempt method #2, I see defrag, Clean Disk doesn't seem to be there, but regardless, I can't right click on defrag and send to desktop or click and drag it over either.

When I attempt method #3, the disk defragmentor simply appears.

In either of the three methods, no executable is visible for me to right click and send to desktop.

While I can certainly do these things now, by noon tomorrow I'll have forgotten these procedures so I do require a simple desktop shortcut unfortunately.

I'm proficient in software usage, not in code, or commands, so these kinds of instructions while I'm sure are accurate, just don't mean any more to me than something written in Mandarin Chinese. I'm sure I'm missing something, so this is my failing, not yours.

But because of this, I need a kind of "Make the shortcuts for Dummies" set of instructions.

So if anyone out there is able to do that, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance again!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The links show you how to get to these programs with just a few clicks. if you want a shortcut go to C:\Windows\system32 scroll below the yellow folders you'll find cleanmgr and dfrg Right click each and choose Send To..Desktop (Make Shortcut) DO NOT drag and drop to desktop, this will move it from the system32 folder. As for Windows Update Open Internet Explorer Go to Tools/Windows Update. Once you run Windows or Microsoft update it will put a shortcut in your All Programs
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Let me know if you understand BadgerBoy.

YourTravelingGeek

CompTIA A+ Certified
CompTIA Network+ Certified

PC running slow? | Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help
Closed Thread