Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't Browse Internet

3K views 25 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm on an old Windows XP Desktop computer, and I've been trying to restore internet capabilities to it. My desktop has a wired internet connection via an ethernet cable. The adapter is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. I've conducted the following commands to test my local area network (LAN):

ping 127.0.0.1 //for the loopback address
ping localhost //for loopback name
ping (my computer's ip address) //for my computer's ip address
ping (my computer's name) //for my computer's name
ping (my laptop's ip address) //for my other computer (laptop) ip address
ping (my laptop's name) //for my laptop's name

Only the last 2 commands timed out with the message: "Request timed out", having 4 lost (100%) packets.

The previous 4 previous commands went well.

Can anybody provide me with a solution to this?

See less See more
#3 ·
Here are the answers to the preliminary questions:

Is this a wired or wireless connection issue? Wired

Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)? AT&T

What type of Broadband connection are you using? DSL (I believe)

What is the exact Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router Combo?

What is the Name of the Anti-Virus, Security or Firewall Software installed from the problematic computer? WebRoot (but it has expired), Malwarebytes (currently; free version), Norton (trial, but has also expired)

I'll follow up with the output of the ping commands...

#5 · (Edited)
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0
copy the text in the Notepad file that appears and paste it in your next post.
You cannot have more then one Anti-Virus program on your computer, they will conflict. Please Uninstall Norton and Webroot and restart your computer. Malwarebytes free version does not conflict. Once you get internet, download the free Avast or AVG Anti-Virus.
Since you don't have active Anti-Virus software, you may be infected. In that case, click on the link in my signature Virus/Malware Help and do those things in Safe Mode with Networking and post in that section of the forum for better results.

#9 ·
Power Cycle your Router/Modem (eg) Unplug your Router and Modem or Router/Modem Combo, wait 15 seconds and plug them in. Wait about 2 minutes
Go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter
Now type ipconfig /release and press enter.
The IP address should change to 0.0.0.0.
Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
Now type ipconfig /registerdns and press enter
Now type ipconfig /renew and press enter.
You now should have a new IP address. Try connecting to internet now.
If that fails, type ipconfig /all and copy the text and paste it here.

#11 ·
You appear top be connected to the router . . let's test the internet connection . .

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type or Copy and Paste the following" and press enter

echo > 0 & PING 192.168.1.254 >> 0 & PING 46.228.47.115 >> 0 & PING google.com >> 0 & tracert google.com >> 0 & echo [/php] >> 0 & notepad 0

That can take a few minutes to complete, come back and past the result in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's the file. (For some reason it became Wordpad instead of NotePad. Not sure why.) I converted it though. Thanks for all of the assistance :D

ECHO is on.

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 0ms

Pinging 46.228.47.115 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 46.228.47.115: bytes=32 time=145ms TTL=48
Reply from 46.228.47.115: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=48
Reply from 46.228.47.115: bytes=32 time=167ms TTL=48
Reply from 46.228.47.115: bytes=32 time=144ms TTL=48
Ping statistics for 46.228.47.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 141ms, Maximum = 167ms, Average = 149ms

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.
Unable to resolve target system name google.com.

[/php]

Attachments

#20 ·
Are you sure RevoUninstaller is compatible with Windows XP? I've checked other forums suggesting either: 1.) regedit and allowing full permissions or 2.) Going to Properties, then Compatibility to run different compatibility tests. Neither suggestions have worked. I've cleared nearly a GB off the desktop. It's about 15 total.

#21 ·
You do not want to delete any files from the Windows folder. Just your personal files under C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\My Documents
Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window Right click the C: drive and choose Properties. What is the Total capacity. used space and Free space? Are there any other partitions on the same Disk? Is there any Unallocated Space on the same Disk? Unless your C: partition is very small you should have more space on it. A usual Windows file in XP should be 10GB or less. Try Posting a screenshot of this window.

#26 ·
What we are talking about is your Hard Drive Capacity, which is not Memory, though it should be called that.
What is on Drive D: ? Your C: drive is only 16GB. You should move any user files under C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName] (eg) My Documents which includes My Pictures, My Music etc, and any other personal files to the D: drive or another external HDD.
Or, If you can move any files you want off of the D: drive to an External USB drive, you can Delete the D: drive and then extend the C: drive to take up the remainder of the 53GB of your disk to take up the entirety of your 80GB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.