Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cant boot to safe mode

SOLVED 
3K views 35 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·

I have tried everything after I f8 and nothing gets me to windows safe mode. I can get to command prompt safe mode, I don't know how to get to win xp safe mode. I installed a program yesterday and now a white screen with submit payment at the bottom right of the page is the only thing visible. I tried to ctrl alt del and cant get there. Nothing works has to unplug to restart.:facepalm:

#2 ·
I installed a program yesterday and now a white screen with submit payment at the bottom right of the page is the only thing visible.
You have installed a Virus. Do you have a Windows XP CD? You may need to reinstall.
First click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and post in that section of the forum to see if they can help you.

#5 ·
#13 ·
I'm a novice and I'm sorry to be such a pest. But now that I have downloaded to the usb memory stick. when I take this to the infected computer and turn on the computer will the download take over or do I have to do something before I place the memory stick in the computer?

#14 ·
Please follow the instructions for creating a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu from the link that was within the link in post #7 or here: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads You need download and save the ISO image of Ubuntu to your desktop, then download and install UNetbootin to make the USB Flash drive

#15 ·
From the Ubuntu link in post#7:
Now that you have Ubuntu burned onto a CD or a bootable thumb drive, load the CD or plug in your USB thumb drive. Be sure to enable your CD ROM or USB thumb drive to be the first boot order.
If you're not sure what this means, the computer can boot from various devices. It's usually the hard drive where Windows is stored, but for your situation you need to change the setting in BIOS so the computer boots from the new Ubuntu USB stick.

To enter BIOS, keep tapping the appropriate key straight after switching the computer on. It's a different key for some computers, but it's usually F1, F2, F10, DEL or ESC. (See here for instructions). It should say on the screen which key to use, or you can check in your motherboard manual. Insert the USB stick in the infected computer, then go to the screen where the boot order options are listed, change it to 'USB First', hit F12 to save the settings and exit. The computer will now bypass the Windows hard drive and boot into the Ubuntu USB stick.

#17 ·
From the Ubuntu link in post#7:

If you're not sure what this means, the computer can boot from various devices. It's usually the hard drive where Windows is stored, but for your situation you need to change the setting in BIOS so the computer boots from the new Ubuntu USB stick.

To enter BIOS, keep tapping the appropriate key straight after switching the computer on. It's a different key for some computers, but it's usually F1, F2, F10, DEL or ESC. (See here for instructions). It should say on the screen which key to use, or you can check in your motherboard manual. Insert the USB stick in the infected computer, then go to the screen where the boot order options are listed, change it to 'USB First', hit F12 to save the settings and exit. The computer will now bypass the Windows hard drive and boot into the Ubuntu USB stick.

#16 ·
If you are having problems burning your USB Flash Drive with UNetbootin, you can download Rufus, In my signature to burn the ISO image of Ubuntu you saved to your Desktop to your USB Flash drive.
Then follow Koala's suggestion with the USB Flash Drive in to enter Setup (Bios) Go to the Boot tab. Your Flash Drive might appear in the Hard Drive Group, or just USB Device. Move this to First boot device. Save and Exit. Or press F12 at bootup to make a one time change to the boot order. Once restarted. It should say Press Any Key to Boot From USB.

#19 · (Edited)
Did you boot to the Ubuntu Live USB? Did you Try Ubuntu? It should look like the pictures in this link: Backup important personal files using Ubuntu LiveCD - Tech Support Forum
In the Live version of Ubuntu, You can browse the C: drive and you can drag and drop or copy and paste files from the C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]. You can copy the whole My Documents folder, which includes the My Pictures, My Music etc. Then copy the Desktop and Favorites folders and save them to an external USB HDD. And if you have any other folders, you may have created. Not programs.

#21 ·
NO, on a working computer download and save the Ubuntu Live ISO image to your desktop. Now start Rufus, under Create a bootable disk using... take the drop down arrow and choose ISO image, browse to your desktop to the ISO image of Ubuntu. Now you should have a bootable USB Flash drive with Ubuntu.Put that in the troubled computer and restart, if USB is chosen as First Boot Device, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From USB. Follow the rest of the instructions in the link in post #7 or #19. You will need another drive to save your files to.

#23 · (Edited)
I have downloaded to the usb memory stick
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, according to the quote above, you have downloaded the ISO image of Ubuntu to the USB Flash drive. You do not download it and save it to the USB Flash drive, you save it to the desktop, then you start Rufus and Burn the ISO image to the Flash drive as outlined in Post #16 and #21. If you do, when you boot from the Flash drive, you will not get a Black Command prompt with C:\> showing, you will get what the pictures show in the link in post #19 asking you if you want to Install Ubuntu or Try it, you want to Try it. Then you will load the Live Ubuntu OS from the Flash Drive. At that point, it will look similar to Windows as shown in the link and you then can Explore or Browse your C: drive.

#24 ·
I did both. I downloaded Ubuntu to the desktop and to the usb drive. I sent you the image of how Rufus was setup to make the usb drive bootable. When it booted the computer it was to the c:\ prompt. How can I start over and see if it will work the second time around.

#25 · (Edited)
The Rufus screenshot you posted #22 is fine, now you have to Burn the image, by using the Browse button (the Disk Icon) Which is to the Right of the ISO image drop down arrow and selecting the Ubuntu ISO image on your desktp then pressing Start to start the burning process This will erase anything on the Flash drive. Once that is complete, you would put it into the Troubled computer and restart. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From USB, if you see a black Command Prompt with C:\> you are not booting from the USB or it was not created correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.