Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Cannot install programs from CD

This is a discussion on Cannot install programs from CD within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having trouble installing programs via CD. Autorun will not popup, it recognizes the CD because I can right

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am having trouble installing programs via CD. Autorun will not popup, it recognizes the CD because I can right click on it and explore but when I try to double click the Setup.exe file it shows the hour glass for a few seconds and then nothing. I have also tried to run the setup.exe from the run command. I have tried putting the CD in another PC's CDROM and shared the CDROM from that PC and accessed it from mine but again I can explore the CD but the Setup.exe does not work. I have tried this with several CDs but to no avail. I have administrative rights on this PC. I am running XP Home. Any ideas? I am pretty clueless. Thanks alot.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try cleaning the CD with lint free cloth or distilled water.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #3

greetings
possibly is this a copy of a "protected" program? do other programs run from their disk?
post back
Old 01-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

I have used this CD to install the software on another PC fine. But on this one it will not work. I have also tried to put other CD's into the CDROM but none of them will run any setup.exe. No matter what the software is. I have cleaned the disc and nothing happened. Again, this works on other PCs, for some reason just this one PC is having a problem. Thanks for the replies. Let me know of any other thoughts. Thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #5

it would appear that the cd rom isnt good. you dont have roxio installed? if so uninstall it ---long shot
Old 01-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

That was my thoughts originally...but again I put the CD in another machine that has a perfectly fine CDROM. It can install fine there. I shared that PC's CDROM, accessed it from the one that wasnt working...I could see the files on the CD but could not run the setup.exe file. So it is not the CDROM. It has to be something else.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Roxio / sonic... Yeah, been there, done this.

Here is a link to a new PX Engine that should fix your issue if you have roxio or sonic burning software installed.

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=...0070GN&PARAMS=

Good luck,

you should also check if they have any other updates for your version, mine was version 6 platinum, and Xp service pack two is when I always developed an issue, they should be done first just to keep thing in order.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to the forum larsenmill

I hope they figured out the problem as it was asked over 3 years ago.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread