Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Cannot delete 4 non existing removable disk icons in "My Computer" folder????????

This is a discussion on Cannot delete 4 non existing removable disk icons in "My Computer" folder???????? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The "My Computer" Folder on my PC is showing icons for 4 non existing removable disk drives. How can I

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

The "My Computer" Folder on my PC is showing icons for 4 non existing removable disk drives.
How can I get rid of these. There is no "delete" option when I right click the respective icons.
Thanks for your help!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello mouln

The only way I know of to get rid of them is to reboot

They should be gone when XP boots up again since they no longer exist

Old 03-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Home SP2 (desktop), Media Center SP2 (laptop)

if the "safely remove hardware" icon is in your taskbar system tray icons, try double clicking it and see what is "connected"
click stop on each one that you no longer want connected, and that should solve the problem without a reboot.
If it doesn't work... reboot
Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

They might be virtual drives. AKA not real. Do you have any CD/DVD mounting software on your computer?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

try moving them to another folder. open the recycle bin and drag it on to there. hold alt and press the del button or use this program below.
Attached Files
File Type: rar delete restricted files.rar (88.3 KB, 444 views)
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouln View Post
The "My Computer" Folder on my PC is showing icons for 4 non existing removable disk drives.
How can I get rid of these. There is no "delete" option when I right click the respective icons.
Thanks for your help!
Do you have a card reader?

These may be the slots for the card reader- you don't want to remove those, do you?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

I figured this one out by mistake,

try this....
Right click on the unwanted drives then go to properties, hardware tab, click on the device and then click properties. Another window pops up then go to policies and click on safely remove hardware under optimize for performance (in blue) I am almost positive this is how I did it. Check it out, it
removed all of my unwanted virutal drives! (I have old xp mce with sp3) Please someone correct me if I am wrong but since they are gone I cant go back to check now cause they are not there anymore!. After this worked on the old computer I went to my new laptop which has several unwanted drives and I found out that it does not work the same for Vista. (there is no choice to safely remove hardware in blue)

Hope this helps folks with xp!

Now, someone please tell me how to remove unwanted drives in Vista.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidergirl View Post
I figured this one out by mistake,

Now, someone please tell me how to remove unwanted drives in Vista.
That's easy (Assuming Vista and Win7 work the same). Open your Device Manager and then open the Disk Drives folder. You should see the four icons for each of the card reader ports. Disable any or all of them by right-clicking to invoke the context menu.

I chose to disable all but one - the SD reader - which I can and will use. The others are a waste of time.

The option to Hide empty drives in the Folder Options - view menu didn't work.

Please post a reply if this works for you so that others won't search endlessly only to find stupid answers.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

This message goes out to AggGrow. I guess you can never assume anything. When I open Device Manager and then open the Disk Drives folder it only shows one drive. But when I open My Comupter it shows my DVD RW Drive and four DVD Drives. So, no unfortunately your solution does not work for Vista but thanks anyways.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

KIDALIA'A suggestion is almost right on. If the ICON is there right click. If the non-existing drives appear, just double click and they will be gone without doing anything further!