Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot Copy ****: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

18K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bauhsoj 
#1 · (Edited)
I am trying to backup server files to another computer on the network. However, I have run into a folder that has a a few thousand small images and every 20 or so image copy pops the error "Cannot Copy ****: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." Instead of doing a mass transfer of these image files I now have to try to copy the single file that pops up this error over and over again by drag n drop until the error goes away. I don't know what is causing it and I don't know why after about 5-10 min of repeated copying attempts it suddenly has no problem with the exact same file and another file suddenly can't be copied across the network in that folder.

Any ideas what is going on here?

I have already tried running repairs on the hard disks in question.

#4 ·
I checked the Event Viewer and there was dozens of errors listed of the same type with almost exactly the same byte profile in each. The error was "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D."

Can this be diagnosed and fixed?

How do I check for a memory problem?

#3 ·
On follow up, shortly after I posted this the computer suffered a critical stop error apparently related to an IP device error, though I couldn't really tell for sure as the data was rather meaningless to my eyes. I ran another disk repair just to be certain and it is now copying everything just fine.

I don't know why this happened in the first place. Perhaps it has something to do with transferring several million files over the period of about 10 hours. :4-dontkno

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.