Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Cannot access external hard drive due to virus - help!

This is a discussion on Cannot access external hard drive due to virus - help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer was infected with a couple of Trojan viruses. I was able to rid them from my C drive,

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer was infected with a couple of Trojan viruses. I was able to rid them from my C drive, where I store my program files, but I keep the majority of my personal files on an external hard drive and I can no longer access it. My computer doesn't seem to recognize it at all - I suspect that the virus has messed with settings that are making it undetectable to Windows. Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions or advice, short of bringing it to someone who can get in via another operating system?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

With the drive hooked up, can you go to My Computer and see the drive? If not, go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Disk Management do you see your Drive? Can you post a Screen Shot of Disk Management?
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LaCie external hard drive problem
Hello, i've got two LaCie Grand Hard Disk (1 TB ones). I've used one of them for almost a year now and the other one i have hardly used at all. Now my problem started when i controlled the other external hard drive with my Eset Nod 32 Smart Security. It might have deleted a file (autorun file if i...
kalmer Hard Drive Support 5 01-13-2011 12:58 PM
Buying external hard drive questions
Hello, I want to replace the use of a USB stick with an external hard drive to backup 2 computers and have these hardware questions: Because this drive will be used for backup, I’m concerned about reliability. Here is a Iomega Prestige 1TB drive with 663 5-star ratings, but also 179 1-star...
brooksr Hard Drive Support 3 01-07-2011 06:01 PM
Can an external HDD function as the ONLY hard drive?
I'm building my first computer soon, a $950 gaming rig, and I'm going to be selling my laptop to fund the rig. I was going to buy an external hard drive in advance so I can copy everything I need to it from my laptop. But, if I got a 1T external HDD, could I just use it as the main drive in my...
Floobles Hard Drive Support 11 01-05-2011 09:06 AM
[SOLVED] Remote access to external hard drive
Here is a crude sketch of my home network setup. I haven't done anything to set up workgroups, etc. My question: Is there a way to set up access to the external drive to back up files from the 2 laptops? If so, I would appreciate a little direction to get me started. Would it hurt to keep the...
hdog Networking Support 10 01-03-2011 03:46 PM
[SOLVED] Replacing exsisting SATA hard drive problem
My external hard drive recently stopped working. I have found that this due to a problem with the USB chip, so I have removed the hard drive from it's casing and am trying to find out how to get the information from it. My thoughts were to try and connect it to my desktop PC internally where I...
grantrough Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 7 01-03-2011 02:19 PM