Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Can not reinstall Windows XP !!! Stumped!!!

This is a discussion on Can not reinstall Windows XP !!! Stumped!!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I am very frustrated!! I have a system here that I am trying to reinstall windows xp on. It

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. I am very frustrated!! I have a system here that I am trying to reinstall windows xp on. It was running xp and was giving errors and not working well so I decided to reinstall windows xp home. The computer is probably about 4 to 6 years old. It has the Abit KV-80 motherboard and a Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB Sata HD, AMD Athlon64 3200mhz processor, 2GB PC3200 DDR Ram. I was thinking initially of doing a windows repair install but when I booted off the XP CD SP2 disc it wouldn't see the hard disk....went in and disabled the Sata option and then it could see the hard drive. So in the end, I left the sata disabled, went in and deleted the partition, created a new one and went ahead with the install, but now, although it is seeing the hard drive in the bios as an IDE drive it does not want to boot onto the new install, you know the first reboot after windows xp has started its install. Ok, so then someone thought I should do a bios update, I made a boot floppy in another windows xp machine and copied on my bios update files, won't boot from the floppy. "Invalid system disk........." That floppy won't even boot on machine on which is was made, says "Disk I/0 error" Is there something to do with the floppy being FAT file system and the HD's NTFS ?? The bios is 2004 and there have been abunch of updates for this MB. It was a SP2 Win XP CD I was trying to use, thought maybe that was the trouble so got out my SP1 CD, same problem..... I'm stumped.........I've done an install of windows quite a few times and I've never run into this. This computer was built at ELCO System and had XP installed right from new so it wasn't an upgrade later!! I sure hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. I looked into making a bootable CD Rom but that looks like quite a job!!! I shouldn't have to flash the bios should I seeing this computer had Windows XP right from the start ?!?!?!?!?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try it with only 1 stick of ram in

Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! Tried it with one 1GB stick. No difference!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorworks View Post
Thanks for the reply! Tried it with one 1GB stick. No difference!
Does your MB CD have Sata drivers on it, if so copy them to a floppy and press f6 at the start of the installation?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Downloaded SATA drivers from the website. Copied to floppy. Hit F6, it looked on A:, but just came back up and said to insert floppy........
Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery on the mobo?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Floppy discs and Floppy drives are notoriously unreliable . . Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

or

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Downloaded SATA drivers from the website. Copied to floppy. Hit F6, it looked on A:, but just came back up and said to insert floppy........
Is your floppy cable in the correct way?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! Update: I wasn't looking close enough, what I am seeing in the bios on IDE channel one is the DVD drive, not the SATA HD. Sorry.

Ok, what am I missing? I followed the how to geek link and using nlite made an ISO image and then burned it to a CD-R disk using the Windows XP to burn it. I can not seem to boot off of it though, what am I doing wrong?

Also, I burned Memtest86 to a CD-R but couldn't boot off of that one either.

Is there a program that would test the motherboard that I could download like Memtest86 tests the ram? Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Have you set the Boot order to boot from CD first in the BIOS?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Go here: Imgburn download site, download and install imgburn, it will properly burn your .iso image file to a CD so it will boot. WinXP will just copy the file to the CD.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hello all. Thanks for all your help......it looks like I got it. I was finally able to get it to read off a floppy to get that SATA driver. I wonder if I had a bad floppy drive or disk combo or something. Thanks for that link to that image burning software, that helped that issue.

So how does that work if you slipstream the SATA drivers onto a disk, do you still press F6 or is that all automatice then...?

Would like to flash the bios yet, can I somehow burn the .bin file and awflash.exe to a cdrom and make that work somehow?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Quote:
Hello all. Thanks for all your help......it looks like I got it. I was finally able to get it to read off a floppy to get that SATA driver. I wonder if I had a bad floppy drive or disk combo or something. Thanks for that link to that image burning software, that helped that issue.

Hard to say . . Floppies can be very unstable

So how does that work if you slipstream the SATA drivers onto a disk, do you still press F6 or is that all automatice then...?

It's automatic . . no need to do the "Press F6 " thing

Would like to flash the bios yet, can I somehow burn the .bin file and awflash.exe to a cdrom and make that work somehow?

I wouldn't flash the BIOS unless the new one fixes a problem you are having . . anything go wrong during the flash and you have a mess
Thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #14
Registered Member

Ok..thanks for the reply. One more question.....should I install the chipset drivers that I downloaded off of the MB website or if it is working just leave it?? I downloaded the lan, video and sound drivers and installed them. That went well...... Just trying to install XP SP3 and it came up with an error and said it couldn't find the specified file so SP3 did not install. Not sure what is going on there........guess I'll try it again.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

be sureto turn any realtime protection off when installing SP3. You can download the full SP3 package here . . it usually goes in easier than the WU version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks Rich. I tried it again and it worked this time. No antivirus installed yet....I think I will install Avast for him. They did have a subscription to Norton 360.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now and like it. Light on resources aand effective
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Use Avast.