Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

C Drive Out Of Space - Empty D Drive Has Plenty - Please Help!

This is a discussion on C Drive Out Of Space - Empty D Drive Has Plenty - Please Help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi - I'm hoping someone can help. I think this is a fairly simple one: I bought a computer from

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi - I'm hoping someone can help. I think this is a fairly simple one:

I bought a computer from someone who told me that it had a 250GB hard drive. Before I took possession of it, the seller formatted the hard drive so I could start fresh.

I began running out of space pretty quickly. I have learned that the C drive (where all of my stuff is) is only 40GB and the D drive is 210GB.

Is there a simple way to fix this problem? I don't need a D drive.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Do you have two different hard drives or do you have one drive that has been partioned ?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

One hard drive. Must be partitioned.

Can I just delete the D partition if there is nothing on there? I have Paragon Partition Manager here.

FYI: I have to leave in 5 minutes !!!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

You should be able to format the D: drive if you are sure there is no data needed on there.

Then, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, click computer management and down the left look for Disk management. Click this and it should open a window with the harddrive partitions on it. Right Click the D:\ partition and click format.

Format it to NTFS with a name of D: and let it continue.

After the format, it should appear in My Computer as a drive you can use.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Crap. I have to leave. I'll check back in later.

Looking at the Paragon Partition Manager, it seems like a fairly simple task to resize existing partitions, and since there is nothing on D, I guess that's the way to go.

Like I said, I'll check back in later.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

You should be able to delete the D partition and then increase the space on C using a decent partition manager program...though bear in mind, you would lose all data on D in the process.

Another option and possibly a better option would be to use the D drive as storage for all your music, videos, gaming files, downloads etc and just keep C for your Operating System files. 40GB should be more than enough for your OS. I have dual boot and both my Vista and XP partitions are 25GB each and one has 16GB free and the other has 11GB free.

Hope that helps
Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

In fact, it is easy to solve C drive out of space issue with partition manager, it doesn't need to format or delete D drive. Just need to shrink D drive and add free space to C drive.
EASEUS Partition Master Home edition is free for Windows home users.
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Refer to http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...t-of-space.htm fix C drive out of space issue.