Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD when attempting to install XP

4K views 49 replies 4 participants last post by  MentalParadox 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a used Windows 7 PC that I wish to wipe completely and install Windows XP. This PC will NOT be connected to the internet, so viruses are not a concern. Now here's the problem.

I reboot the PC, with the XP install disc (100% legit) in the tray. I press a button when prompted to boot from disc. It starts doing stuff that is beyond my technical knowledge to comprehend. Then after a while - it BSOD's.

The BSOD is a "STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78d2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000, 0X00000000)", Windows closed to prevent further damage bla bla bla...

It does that every time. The disc is not damaged. Neither is the PC, as it ran fine on 7 before this attempt. I read somewhere the BIOS can be to blame, as it can have a virus scanner or something that prevents the action from completing? How do I find this BIOS thing (feel free to laugh, I know I'm clueless) and how do I turn off this setting (IF that is the one to blame)?

Thanks!

#2 ·
This not a virus, but it may be because of a Bad HDD or Bad RAM.
First What is the Make and Model # of your computer?
Restart the computer and boot into Setup (Bios) look for Hard Drive Mode or SATA. If the mode is set to AHCI, using your Enter and arrow key, change it to IDE or Legacy. Look to see that on the Main page the HDD is listed. Save and Exit.
Remove all but one stick of RAM. On another computer download the ISO image for Memtest burn the image file to CD with IMGBurn both available in my signature. Or burn it to a USB Flash drive with their Auto Installer for USB. Boot off of the newly created media and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately for at least 7 passes each. If you get any errors in the lower pane (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced. If the RAM tests fine and the HDD mode is set to IDE, and it still BSOD's then download the ISO image for Seatools and burn it to CD using IMGBurn Or to USB flash with SeaFlash, all in signature. Then boot off of the newly created media and run the Short and Long Diagnostic tests on the HDD. If either test fails, that HDD needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
XP doesn't like sata, as mentioned ensure that the drive/controller type is set as IDE, if still doesn't work then you need get an XP sata driver on a floppy, then select 'install driver' during install. If you don't have a floppy, you'll need to slipstream sata drivers into the XP install media.
Search for 'installing XP on sata without floppy' should come up with a few results.

Started searching, but I'm on satellite, and having bad weather so internet isn't cooperative.

#4 · (Edited)
My HDD (hard drive, right?) should alright. I've been using this computer for years and it's always worked flawlessly until a few hours ago (still does, if I boot Windows 7).

I did recently have to remove one of the RAM sticks because it was physically damaged. I have three working sticks left, 12GB in total. If nothing else works, I'll just trash the whole computer. This is a last resort anyway.

Make and model of computer... uh... It's a HP, but it was fully assembled when I bought it. No idea what model it is. This is years ago.

Okay - I'm in a menu... "Please select boot device". The options:
UEFI Boot Sources
Legacy Boot Sources
...ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
......SATA1
...Hard Drive
......SATA0
...Network Controller (Realtek PXE B06 D00)

#5 · (Edited)
But, to summarize your post - something MUST be physically broken, right? Because if something is broken, regardless of what it is, I'm trashing the computer. I'm not spending money on an old PC I was planning on getting rid of anyway =)

EDIT: I tried booting with the "Hard Drive: SATA0" option. It booted Windows 7 fine. Then I tried rebooting from disc again. This time, the process got much, much further than last time - but ultimately STILL bluescreened.

#10 ·
If this has UEFI Bios, this is not that old of a computer. Maybe one or two years old at best
It lists the HDD as as SATA drive 0, so this is a SATA HDD. This computer is made to run later versions of Windows not XP, but we will try and make it work
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Security tab, look for Secure Boot, or Safe Boot, Disable this or change it to Setup Mode.
If it is set to UEFI Bios, change it to Legacy Boot sources,move SATA CDDVD drive 1 to First Boot Device. In Integrated Peripherals or Hard Drive look for Hard Drive Mode and if AHCI, change it to IDE or Legacy. Save and Exit.
Or leave all of these settings in tact and you can create a Bootable UEFI Windows install USB Flash drive., Create an ISO image of your Windows disc using IMGBurn and then burn the image to Flash Drive with Rufus, both available in my signature. How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows
If this still fails, remove all but one stick of RAM and try that, if that works, keep adding one stick until the computer BSOD's, then run Memtest on that stick and see if it is bad.

#11 ·
The computer was purchased in January 2012.

I'm sorry to go off-track again - but here's something new. I was rebooting the PC again, and decided to have another go at XP (now that I've set SATA emulation to IDE).

And... it works! No more BSOD. I'm in the Windows XP Home Edition Setup, and I'm being asked to press Enter to install, R to repair, or F3 to cancel.

BUT!

None of my keyboard buttons work. It's as if my keyboard is simply not working, or the screen is frozen. I don't know which. I've indeed found hits on Google about people claiming the XP setup disables their keyboards.

#12 ·
I found this solution on the web, not sure if legit: "I had the same problem with my USB keyboard. I disabled USB Legacy support and was able to use my USB keyboard."

And:

"In your BIOS (on start up, press the F1, F2 or DEL button on your keyboard), go to the USB section and make sure that the "Legacy" is marked "enable", and then "Save and Exit".

#14 ·
The problem is that this USB legacy option is nowhere to be seen in the BIOS.

This is what I got:

Continue Startup
System Info
Change Language
-----
Diagnostics
Boot Menu
Computer Setup
System Recovery
Network Boot
Utilities
Run UEFI Application

In Boot Menu, I get the options I listed in the earlier post.
In Computer Setup, I get this:

Storage
...Device configuration (only options HDD and Cd-ROM, nothing can be changed)
...Storage Options (SATA Emulation, currently set to IDE)
...DPS Self-test
...Boot Order

Security
...Device Security (everything is available, Audio, Network Controller, SATA)
...USB Security (I figured it had to be this, but everything is set to "Enable" - I see no Legacy option anywhere)
...Slot Security
...Network Boot
...System ID's

And then the Power and Advances tabs. I found nothing about the USB slots and Legacy settings.

#17 ·
I may be way off track here but I've been thinking since early in this thread that, because you previously had Windows 7 on this drive, maybe it should be wiped prior to formatting.

If I'm wrong, what do you have to lose but a little more of your time.

Dban or KillDisk would do the job.

#22 ·
Is there a way to nuke the computer without getting the OS running? Perhaps put Dban or KillDisk on a USB stick and running it before the OS loads? If that's even possible of course...
:smile: Not only possible but essential. Thats how these programs work, you have to put them on a disc or usb drive and use them to boot the machine.

#23 · (Edited)
So I just chuck the Dban ISO on a USB stick and boot from USB?

Do I have to change some boot order settings to get it to run from USB instead of the XP disk?

Because I get one prompt to enter the BIOS, and then another to boot from CD. That's it. Then it tries (and fails) to load 7.
I see no way to execute the program on the stick.

#24 ·
First off, you do not just Chuck the DBAN ISO onto a USB Flash drive it has to be burned using an image burner program, like Rufus in my signature.
Then, put the USB Flash drive in the computer and restart and boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab. Your Flash drive should be listed under Hard Drive Group, or just a USB Device. Move this to First Boot Device, Save and Exit. You may also press F12 at Bootup to do a one time change of boot order.
When you then start with the flash drive in, it should say, Press Any Key To Boot From USB. If not, the USB was not burned correctly, the Flash Drive is not First Boot Device, or the USB port is not reading the USB drive.

#25 ·
Okay, Dban is running. I'm using 'autonuke mode'.
I was getting a bunch of these messages while the process was starting:

error: /dev/sde: No medium found

For now, the process is busy. Slowly, but surely.

Thank you so much for your help so far, all of you. I'll update once the process is done and I'm 'go' for the next step.

#27 ·
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals, look for Legacy USB or Keyboard. if it is Disabled, using your Enter and Arrow keys, Enable it. Save and Exit.
If that doesn't work, if you have PS/2 ports on the back of the computer, use a PS/2 Keyboard.

#31 ·
I have one more related question. I thought I had purchased a PS/2 keyboard, but they delivered a traditional USB keyboard. Now I wonder, if I use a USB-PS/2 adapter, can I use my USB keyboard by plugging it into the PS/2 slot on my computer?

If not, I have to buy yet another bloody keyboard. It's my only chance at completing the Windows XP setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.