Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken USB ports? Keyboard not working.

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have an old PC at my parents house which they use now and again for basic stuff etc, it runs Windows XP and has the most recent update until they stopped support. Recently the keyboard and mouse (Both USB) stopped working and now after trying to restart I get the message in the picture below.

I tested the keyboard on my laptop and it still works fine, but I cant do anything with the computer as I can select any options on this screen or during start up.

Any help would be very appreciated!
Thanks
Ed

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
On the back of the computer are there PS/2 Ports (ie) Round Green and Purple ports (see attached)? If you have or can get a hold of PS/2 keyboard you can use that.
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals, look for Legacy USB or Keyboard, if it is disabled, using your Enter and arrow keys, Enable it, Save and Exit

Attachments

#4 ·
Well now! This has reaped good rewards. However other problems have arisen... I now get unmountable_boot_volume blue screen, so i put in the windows disk and went to the repair console to try cskdsk /r but that didnt work, it got to 50% and then said something was irreparable which seems rather bad.
Despite this i have managed to boot up a couple of times in safe mode, although it seems rather hit and miss and sometimes i still get the BSOD...

Attachments

#5 ·
That means that the HDD has too many bad sectors to be repaired by Check Disk. It should be replaced.
If you want a 2nd opinion, then download the ISO image for Seatools and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn or to USB flash with SeaFlash all in my signature. Boot off of the newly created media and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.