Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Bridging Internet From Win 7 to XP via Ethernet XOver Problem

This is a discussion on Bridging Internet From Win 7 to XP via Ethernet XOver Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'll try and give as much info as possible to reduce the amount of unnecessary questions and wasted time. I

Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'll try and give as much info as possible to reduce the amount of unnecessary questions and wasted time. I am extremely frustrated and at the point of pulling out my hair.

I used to have my windows XP Home Service Pack 3 desktop connected to my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7 via a crossover ethernet cable. This is how I accessed the internet on my desktop. Setting this up was no problem.

Recently, I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP on the desktop (hadn't been done in a few years, clogged, slow, needed to be done). Since then, I've tried to do the same connection I had before with a crossover ethernet cable from my laptop to my desktop. No luck.

No settings on my laptop have changed since the format & reinstall of windows XP on my desktop.

I have checked all the settings on both my laptop and desktop, including file sharing, windows firewall (on, off, exceptions allowed), file folder sharing, network discovery, etc. All except for firewall are set to on. Firewall is set to allow exceptions, although I tried playing around with it off as well. I tried deleting and recreating the network bridge between the LAN and Wireless network multiple times to no avail.
I've tried multiple different IP addresses and default gateways, nothing works.
Before you jump to any conclusions, I used this as my guide: How to Bridge an Internet Connection: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

My laptop has internet and works perfectly fine.

My desktop, in network connections, has one LAN or High-Speed Internet connection labeled 1394 Connection. File and printer sharing is turned on, and I manually put in the ICP/TCP settings here but no luck either. Something interesting is no matter what I do, under 1394 connection status support tab, the address type, IP address, subnet mask and default gateway are all blank. Clicking "repair" immediately yields a message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

At this point I am guessing some driver needs to be updated or something like that? It is important to note that I have not installed ANYTHING on my desktop since reinstalling windows. It is not running any anti virus software. I have not been connected to the internet for a single second since reinstalling windows XP.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

OS: Windows 7 Pro, Fedora-20. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Go into Device Manager expand Network Adapters you should have more then a 1394 (Firewire) adapter. You will most likely need drivers for the Ethernet Card, it is probably listed with a yellow exclamation mark requesting drivers be installed.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
alpenadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Why would you use a crossover cable when you could just enable internet connection sharing on the Win7 machine and connect to the internet through the laptop with a piece of standard Cat5?

If the network adapter's driver(s) are all installed and functioning (click "show hidden devices" and report any flagged devices), then my next suspect would be ICS not running and/or configured on the Win7 machine, and the use of that crossover cable.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
My desktop, in network connections, has one LAN or High-Speed Internet connection labeled 1394 Connection.
As stated, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, under Network Adapters you should have more then one Adapter. 1394 is a Firewire connection and is not used to access the internet.
If you do not have another adapter listed, boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals look for LAN or Ethernet. if it is disabled using your arrow key Enable it. Save and Exit.
What is the make and model # of your computer? If you need a driver for the Network Adapter go to the computer manufacturers support/download drivers and type in your make and model# and download the Network Adapter (LAN/Ethernet) for our model. Save it to a USB Flash Drive and install it on the troubled computer.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote