Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Blue screen everytime I try to install XP

This is a discussion on Blue screen everytime I try to install XP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys I am pulling my hair out and there isnt much left, I been trying to get XP installed

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys I am pulling my hair out and there isnt much left, I been trying to get XP installed after my harddrive crashed.

I keep getting an error after I boot from the XP disk, after it says Setup is starting windows it just goes do the BSOD,

0x0000007b is the error, it says inacessible_boot_error on the microsoft website! the BSOD tells me to run CHKDSK /f and scan for viruses. I am at my wits end, I have tried to erase everything on the harddrive no luck. It doesnt make any sense to me. I dont think I will ever get this working...

I have tried to boot from the XP cd WITHOUT any harddrive even connected and I get the same ERROR! Which stumped me because the error seems to pertain to problems with the harddrive

I have tried the seagate disk program no luck either

My mobo is a8v deluxe from asus
and the harddrive is a 160 SEAGATE sata

Im pretty sure the SATA drivers are installed because it says that during the setup, soemthing about promise fastrak SATA and whatnot.

If there is anything I can run like dos program to check for anything please let me know I am really getting frustrated.

PS. I only got past the BSOD once and but it came up on the following screen during setup :(

Any info would be really helpful, thanks in advanced

Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

bobjenkins777,

That BSOD STOP error can be caused by:

1) Boot sector virus infection

2) Device Driver issues

3) Hardware issues with your HD controller or HD

Check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103/en-us

for detailed troubleshooting steps related to this STOP error.

- John

Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Did the Seagate Diagnostic Utility tell you that the HDD and SATA controller are both functioning proberly?

Did you integrate the drivers into the XP CD? The standard XP CD does not contain drivers for the Promise or the VIA SATA controllers on the motherboard.

Perhaps it is a driver issue. There are two drivers for the Promise controller. A RAID driver and an IDE driver. Make sure you loaded the correct driver.

Perhaps it is just some problem with the Promise SATA controller. Go into the BIOS and disable the Promise controller. Connect the drive to the VIA controller and try again.

You should be able to repair the drive boot sector with the Seagate CD as well, but seeing as you still had the problem with the HDD disconnected it is most likely not your problem. ...I would do it anyway.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ok I am starting to think everything is pointing to the drivers, I will have to go and buy a floppy tomorrow and try to install them, as I no longer have the mobo disk. Also the diskwizard doesnt seem to be a diagnostic tool just a wizard, all I could do in it is set up my harddrive it wasnt very helpful, does anyone know where I can get a good harddrive diagnostic tool that I can run in dos? CD or floppy doesnt matter seeing as I am going to buy a USB floppy. Also can I boot from a USB floppy?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Seatools for DOS available here

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...oads/seatools/

This forum post might be helpful for booting from a USB device

http://www.msfn.org/board/Using-a-F6...py-t82711.html
Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Hi Bob, Welcome to TSF!

I hope that you are not 'falling for the 3 card trick'...When Setup has finished loading the basic Drivers, it will reboot back to the original Black screen saying Boot from CD. Press any key to boot from CD...

Just to give you an extra bit of help, we have created a step-by-step guide to installing Windows® XP here. (Click the coloured link.)
When you format a Hard Drive and do a 'clean' installation, you will need to install the Motherboard Drivers when the installation is finished.

Hope this helps..if not, post back with your concerns.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

ok thanks guys I havenot gotten it working yet, I am not at home rightnow I will try the seatools (I was using seagate diskwizard)

Im not sure what you mean by the 3 card trick, what happens after the text part is about to finish I get a blue screen, I cant do anything I have to just restart pc, I couldnt make it to get a USB floppy today I will try tomorrow, thanks for the page on how to set it up. I have been trying to isntall the drivers from a USB flash drive, no luck though I think windows considers a floppy A drive, I got a program that copies a floppy image to a USB and reformats it to be the same file structure as a floppy aslong as the same size but when I went to change the drive little for my USB flash drive I could only pick B-Z so I guess I will need to buy a floppy (USB) for sure
thanks alot guys hopfully it starts working tomorrow! I just hope once I get past this BSOD I dont get another haha

EDIT When reviewing that guide to setup XP I have not gotten to Figure 3 yet
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok guys I am having more trouble.... This is rediculous , I bought a USB floppy the brand is smartdisk, when Igo into the BIOS under USB mass storage it says the type is MATSUMI... Which from what I read IS SUPPORTED for windows installation of drivers at the f6.

Now I try to install the drivers, I get to the screen where it says

Please insert manufacturer floppy disk into drive A and press enter, now I do that (my usb floppy blinks and loads) meanwhile on the monitor windows says please wait loading, then it just goes back to the screen where it tells me to enter the disk again!!

Is this USB floppy not supported!?! DO I actually need to buy a second floppy? and internal floppy to use on the PC I am installing XP on? (I only have a working pc that is a laptop so I cant use an internal floppy on it)

This is rediculous having to buy two floppys I will probably never use again!

Hmm I might try to slipstream the drivers on my XP disk, How does this work? Do I need a certain type of burning software? I only have access to the free software on my laptop

any help appreciated
Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Tech Hardware Team

bobjenkins777,

I don't believe USB storage devices are recognized during the initial installation. That said - you're going to need either a standard diskette attached to your PC's diskette controller -or- you need to burn those drivers to a CD-R or DVD-R disc.

You can download a free trial version of Goldenhawk CD Recording Tools - which works for 30-days and limits you to 1X burning speed. This should be sufficient for what you need to do.

http://www.goldenhawk.com/download.htm

This will only work if you have access to a PC with Windows and a CD burner.

- John
Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

your best bet is to sliptram the driver into windows. if you google slipstreaming you find numerous tutorials. There are also alot of pre slipstreamed versions of windows out there for download you'll just have to change the product key to yours original if you decide to use one of those.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

When system boots up Press F8 and click on disable automatic system restart(something like that)
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok guys it seems I am getting closer! Now I am having problems with the WINNT.SIF file

specifically this line, line 14

OemPnPDriversPath=???

I have tried

OemPnPDriversPath=drivers\SATA\WinXp

and

OemPnPDriversPath=$OEM$\$1\drivers\SATA\WinXP

no luck it gets an error bothtimes! It says cannot find "MYDRIVER".sys

the structure when I burn is

MAIN folderwith all files\$OEM$\$1\drivers\SATA\WinXP\MYDRIVER.sys

Im pretty sure I am getting this wrong does anyone know the right path? I have to reburn , next I am tryingto put all the files in the drivers folder

Here is my winnt.sif file

Quote:
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
OemPreinstall=Yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
WaitForReboot="No"
TargetPath=WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath=drivers
[GuiUnattended]
OEMSkipWelcome = 1
EDIT -- oh my I did not use quotes on the OemPnPDriversPath line I will add that, ill post back if it works

thanks again
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
Tech Hardware Team

bobjenkins777,

check out these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887494/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479/en-us

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-354758.html

- John
Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #14
Registered Member

Good links John, I tried it again and its still saying it cant find my driver sys file.

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Sata"

Do I need to do this?

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Sata\ulsata.sys"
Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hmm I just noticed when I first start up the PC one of the bios messages says 387 SATA Bios (which is pretty much the same driver I am trying to install right now, My friend made this PC for me so Im not sure if he installed the SATA driver or not originally..

simply do I need to install the driver each time I install windows or just once? and I am free to install windows without it whenever?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Make sure you're using an XP SP2 CD, else create one. According to the motherboard manual sata drives won't be recognized if the install CD hasn't got at least SP1.

There are 2 different sata controllers on this motherboard : VIA VT8237 and Promise PDC20378, make sure you've hooked your hard drive to the Via SATA1 port and not the Promise SATA_RAID1 port. Refer to the motherboard manual pages 2-24, 2-25 for more information.

Here are the drivers for the VIA VT8237 controller :
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...IARAID220d.zip

Use this method to slipstream them into your XP SP2 CD : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/

Or use this method which provides generic sata drivers, including the ones you should need : http://g-forgetty.blogspot.com/2008/...a-drivers.html
Old 04-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #17
Registered Member

justpassingby I got past the BSOD! finally, I am forever in your debt

Hopefully it finishes the installwithout any further errors, oh my god dude thanks so much!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #18
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Glad I could help. Let's hope everything will be fine now.

edit : for the record, what proved to be the problem ? Was the drive hooked to the wrong sata port, or did it work right away once you slipstreamed the driver on the XP CD ?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 AM   #19
Registered Member

The problem was the driver, I had it plugged in the right port, I tried manually to put the righ driver I needed and slipstream it but it didnt work, the guide thatyou gave me with all the drivers was really easy and it worked!

more files cant be copied blah

EDIT Im trying it again to make sure it wasnt a fluke
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #20
Registered Member

hmm it tried it a third time and it worked WOOT