Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Black screen with cursor when I boot up my PC...

This is a discussion on Black screen with cursor when I boot up my PC... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, all. You'll have to bear with me a little; I'm not a particularly technical person, so I'll try my

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi, all. You'll have to bear with me a little; I'm not a particularly technical person, so I'll try my best to explain the problem.

The gist of the issue is that although my computer (XP service pack 2, using comparatively old hardware - old and faithful) seems to load up fine, as soon as it comes off the initial Windows loading page with the loading bar etc, the screen goes black and, although the mouse cursor can be seen, the page where you select users shows up as just black.

I've been having problems with my computer since it updated to service pack 2, early last month. After that, it tried to update me to Windows Media Player 11 but every time it tried the whole system would crash, burn and restart itself. At one point, when I sent an error report, I was told the problem was due to a virus of some kind - a trojan, I think; I saved the information on my PC, but that's obviously a little useless right now, as I can't access it and there aren't any backups. I run AVG as a virus scanner, which I find effective, but it has never found any kind of virus on there. As far as I was aware, it was clean. I used the Windows Live cleaner, as they suggested; it found nothing either, and neither did Netcom 3, my registry cleaner (which also has a virus/spyware scanner). In fact, it's come up completely clean for some time. However, since I updated the service pack, the Windows firewall hasn't been in operation, and I could never get it working again. Though I haven't used any dodgy websites recently (mostly YouTube and Wikipedia, plus my e-mail provider), this has caused me concern.

Last night, the updater tried to run itself again as I shut the PC down; the system crashed and restarted halfway through, only to show the black screen with the mouse cursor (which can be moved around, though that's a fat lot of good). I have no clue what to do with it, but I need to get it working fairly quickly; I'm a student, so it need it for work. Is there absolutely anything anyone can suggest to help me? As I've said before, I'm not particularly technical, I just to get it all sorted.

Thank you for any help, and please tell me if you need any more details; I'll try and give more information if required.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via MSN to Deejay100six

Hi Glastea, and welcome to TSF.

I have several suggestions for recovery of your system but most of them include using an XP cd. If you don't have one, perhaps you can borrow one from somewhere? Some of the solutions i can suggest may include using your serial key. (a 25 digit code which you may find on a sticker on the casing of your machine) This of course depends where and how you purchased the pc.

It is my opinion that you will need the cd at the very least. You are legally entitled to copy that cd if you need to but your problem will arise if you don't have the 25 digit serial key code.

Please post back if you have, or can obtain, a cd and i will do my best to help.

Btw, registry cleaners are a no no and thats probably made your problems a whole lot worse.

The only other alternative is to remove your hard drive and slave it to another machine to retrieve any important files but at the end of it all you still need the aforementioned disc to restore your operating system.

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey - thank you so much for replying, I'm getting a little desperate.

For a start, I have a serial number on the back of my CPU and I do know that we have a copy of XP Pro at home somewhere. However, knowing I have it and actually holding the thing are a different matter entirely, so I'll start looking for it.

There are also no real issues with losing files, as most of the stuff on there got deleted before I took over the use of the computer and so there's very little saved to the hard drive, thank goodness. I'll also stop using registry cleaners if it could have aggravated the problem.

Is there anything else you need to know?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
TSF Articles Team

My System

Send a message via MSN to Deejay100six

Hello again,

No, i don't really think there is any point in asking you for any specs at the moment. First thing to do is get your machine in a reasonably usable state. Just post back when you find your disc as that will make my job soooo much easier.

Please be aware though, that your problem could very possibly be hardware related given the age etc and that could mean having to replace one or more parts but we'll worry about that if/when we come to it.

After we get you up and running again i will give you some advice on how to protect your machine in future. I am at present in training as a malware fighter and you should never underestimate the potential of modern day viruses. Log on without adequate protection and you can be infected in as little as eight seconds.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon but i must advise you that i am very busy so there may sometimes be a delay in my replying.

If you haven't already done so, please subscribe to this thread so that you will be automatically notified when i do reply.

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am having the exact same problem. Black screen with only the mouse cursor which you can move around the screen but that’s it. This also happen after a virus scan using AVG.

Here is what happened, AVG found 3 infected files…
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
SVHOST.EXE
AVG then said it needed to reboot. When it reboot it went through post and the Windows XP logo splash screen. Then the black screen with only the mouse cursor which you can move around the screen, it never gets to the login or welcome screen. Same thing with any other mode except safe mode. In safe mode you get a black screen with the words SAFE MODE in all 4 corners and the mouse pointer.
I tried booting from the Windows CD and repair mode installation from the CD but once it copies files to the hard drive and reboots from the hard drive it still has the same problem. A black screen with movable mouse pointer.

Using a other computer and a hard drive to USB adaptor I connected the this drive and found the files….
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
SVHOST.EXE
Missing from the c:\windows\system32 folder so I replaced these files from a known good computer and just as before same problem. Again connected the hard drive to a other computer to examine it and again the same files are missing again….
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
SVHOST.EXE
Every time I replace them they get deleted and the computer ends up with the black screen with only the mouse cursor which you can move around the screen.

It appears that AVG change something in the boot up so it can access and delete these protected system files. Since these files are required the system halts and the changes made by AVG are still in so even though you replace the files it again deletes them. To fix this problem the changes AVG made to the boot need to be removed.

I have tried to rename the AVG folder in C:\Program Files and in C:\ Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
But it must be some were else like the registry or an INI file. Does anyone know how to remove or disable these AVG boot changes? And thanks in advance for your help.