Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

autoplay problem

This is a discussion on autoplay problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. can't find any information anywhere about this version of an autoplay problem on my pc... im currently running XP home

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

can't find any information anywhere about this version of an autoplay problem on my pc...

im currently running XP home edition and no matter what i seem to do autoplay opens up constantly...

not only is it annoying to have the window popping up every few minutes but it is really slowing the system down...

i have tried turning the autoplay option off for each of the drives, but it still pops up...

any ideas?

Old 03-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Let me get this straight, everytime you pop in a cd it autoplays?

You may have other things going on in your system, please follow these instructions to rule out any malware/spyware.

Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

Scan your pc with one of these free online scanners:

Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall. Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean.

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! ( Alternate Link if main link don't work) and install it.
Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. When it asks you if you want to logoff, click on Yes.
Empty your Recycle Bin.

Let me know if any of those helped or if they found anything on your system

Old 03-21-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response, but just to clarify the problem, the autoplay window opens with or without a disc in either of the drives...

the little searchlight icon browses for a second or so, then it closes itself down again...

i have already run both ad-aware and spybot...i just ran the vx2 tool in ad-aware to no avail...

i have had my HiJackThis log analysed and fixed by one of the team at the forum, in a separate thread

http://www.techsupportforum.com/show...690#post210690

hence i posted this as a separate issue...

i will also mention, as we are talking about cd/dvd drives and autoplay, that since a week ago it began to take twice as long to burn a dvd (around 40 minutes or so at 4x)

i bought a new dvd drive and it still has the same autoplay problem and also still takes 40 minutes to burn a dvd even at 8x

if you can give me any advice i would be grateful because i am edging nearer to a re-format as we speak

i dont know if this has anything to do with it or just a mere coincidence, but around the same time i noticed that the sound has deteriorated from the pc
Old 03-21-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Try this MainOnion

To disable the CD autoplay feature, use the following Windows XP registry hack:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
Name: NoDriveTypeAutoRun
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 181 hex 0x0b5
info

Or if you dont feel comfortable hacking the registry try this
Download TweakUI one of what Microsoft calls "Power Toys for Windows XP". It's more than a toy. It allows you to adjust (or 'tweak') several settings that aren't exposed directly by the standard Windows tools.
info
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

just tried TweakUI, and disabled autoplay on all the drives and still the autoplay pops up...

am willing to try many more steps before formatting though

edit...didn't see the check box to disable autoplay on all drives...have un-checked that now and will let you know the outcome...
Old 03-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

still popping up as regularly as before im afraid...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

You may want to run check disk:

Start > Run > cmd
In the new window type chkdsk/f
When prompted to run on boot choose Y & Reboot......

This will check for & fix any disk errors

Let me know if it finds any
Old 03-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

as far as i can tell, there were no errors found...

ran chkdsk /f

any ideas as to where we can go from here?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

ive given myself one more day to solve this problem before i reformat the drive...

unless anyone can offer any more advice or suggestions how to fix it?

basically the autoplay window pops up all the time...whether there is a disc in the drive or not...it really slows the system down and takes the focus away from other windows too (which is annoying when trying to write something)
Old 03-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

OK, let me take a crack at this. Try the registry edit here.
Please do NOT PM me. Post whatever questions you may have in the forum and we will take a look at it when we get to it. If you have waited for more than 3 days, you may then and ONLY then PM me for assistance. I will take a look at it.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

followed the regedit and it seemed to work ok...

but then after a reboot the same problem re-occurred

i checked that the value was still set to (0) in regedit and it was...
Old 03-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I heard cases where it's trying to autoplay the hard drives even, so I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the cd/dvd drive? Also try unplugging the cables and plugging them back in again to make sure they are not loose.

Try setting it to prompt on what to do when a CD is inserted:
Quote:
Open My Computer
Right click on the CD ROM and select [Properties]
Select [Auto Play] tab
Select the content type from the drop down box followed by the type of [Action] you wish to invoke.
Select the bottom option that says Prompt me each time.....
Then if all that fails, do this:
If you have a fast internet connection (broadband), run an online virus scan at TrendMicro http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/ente...all_launch.php. Just follow the instructions on the site to run the online scan. If any viruses/trojans are detected, try to delete or clean them in that site. Otherwise, make sure your antivirus program has the latest definitions and run a full system scan.
Please do NOT PM me. Post whatever questions you may have in the forum and we will take a look at it when we get to it. If you have waited for more than 3 days, you may then and ONLY then PM me for assistance. I will take a look at it.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hello again...thanks for your help so far, it is very much appreciated...

i followed your suggestions and still the problem keeps re-occurring...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/priv...pm&userid=7963

firstly, i have unplugged and reconnected the dvd drives, even bought a new one, so the connections have been checked...

secondly, i have the drives set at "prompt" now...they were at "take no action" previously...

and finally, i ran the online virus scan at trend, as sugested...it found a couple of virus' that norton hadn't picked up. so i deleted the files and ran the virus check again...now it's a cean machine, but it's still trying to autoplay...

as i mentioned before i am very grateful for any help, and am considering this a learning experience rather than a hindrance at the moment...let's hope we can sort it out...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Do you have any programs that run at boot like InCd or maybe some type of burning software. This is a long shot but maybe for some odd reason it's trying to access your drive when it loads, it may be corrupt.
I'm probably grasping at straws here but I'm trying to find a logical reason as to why even after you purchase a new cd/dvd drive that it is still happening.
Have you tried to boot with just 1 cd/dvd drive connected? You stated cd/dvd drive's so I am assuming more than 1.

How are they connected? Master and slave on the Secondary controller? Have you tried switching the set up around?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, try doing what GeekGirl said earlier there. Is there any other programs that may try to access the CD drive by any chance? Disable all these programs if there are any of them that do this.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

I havent had the time unfortunately to try any of the last two posts of advice but i did give in and re-formatted the partition on saturday...

everything now working a dream...

thanks for all the help...im just sorry that i didnt have the patience to find out what exactly was causing the problem...

actually having re-read the last two posts of advice, i had already tried changing the drives around and the connections...

once again though...thanks for the advice and time taken
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
Registered Member

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainOnion View Post
can't find any information anywhere about this version of an autoplay problem on my pc...

im currently running XP home edition and no matter what i seem to do autoplay opens up constantly...

not only is it annoying to have the window popping up every few minutes but it is really slowing the system down...

i have tried turning the autoplay option off for each of the drives, but it still pops up...

any ideas?

In case no one ever thought about it, external drives will cause this problem also. Thumb drives especialy...you plug it in , forget about it and next time you turn on your PC wham, constant Hard Drive spins and or also autoplay. Most of us have to much data to reformatt when problems occur...that's why all these folks share there knowledge with us. Patientience is key.