Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

AOL Software.exe-Corrupt File

This is a discussion on AOL Software.exe-Corrupt File within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have this horrible yellow balloon telling me something is corrupt and unreadable and to run the chkdsk utility. I'm

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have this horrible yellow balloon telling me something is corrupt and unreadable and to run the chkdsk utility. I'm old and have no computer smarts at all .... can someone help me get rid of this yellow balloon?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What is the balloon actually telling you? Unfortunately, ".... telling me something is corrupt and unreadable ...." isn't really enough to go on.

To run CHKDSK you open My Computer, right click on the drive and select "Properties". In the box that opens click on the "Tools" tab. The top item on the page is called "Error Checking" - click on the button marked "Check Now" and click "Okay" to any warnings it pops up. "Okay" your way out. Reboot the machine and let it run the error check on startup (it will do it automatically for you). If that fixes the problem then just let us know. Otherwise we will need a bit more info as I asked above.

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

w3hen i try to run chkdsk utility i get to my computer /r.click disc/properties/tools/ error checking/i then click on to auto fix file .i then get a message sayingwindows unable tocomplete disc check..what should i do now ..thans geogeo
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

When it says it is unable to complete does it give you the option of running it on the next boot? This is the normal routine as it can't check the disk while it is in use.

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

no it does not give me he option of running it on the next boot.when i cick onto automatically files system or scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors it then showswindows unable to complete the disc check..thanks. geogeo what next.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hang on a sec! How many people are we talking to here? 2GreatGrands started the thread and it has now been carried on by gallaghercelt? ??????

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

hi kev . i put in geogeo in my 2 posts instead of my user gallaghercelt thats why mabye there seemed to be more people asking the same question.as stated when i click on to automatically files system. or scan for attempt rcovery of bad sectors i get.windows unable to complete the disc check. what should i do next...thanks gallaghercelt
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

Go to Start/Run and type CMD and hit enter. In the command prompt type chkdsk /f/r and hit enter. It will say it cannot run the check disk utility because the volume is in use, do you want to run check disk at next boot up? Type a Y for yes. Exit the command prompt and restart the computer. The Check Disk utility will start after the Windows splash Screen before Windows loads.