Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

All web browsers cause computer to crash and restart.

This is a discussion on All web browsers cause computer to crash and restart. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I originally posted this in the Mozilla/Firefox section, but, I am not sure if that was the correct place, as

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I originally posted this in the Mozilla/Firefox section, but, I am not sure if that was the correct place, as this is happening with all of my web browsers. Okay, so yesterday I was in Opera, viewing a friend's livestream. Everything was fine.

I went to update my flash player from adobe so I downloaded that and installed it. Then went back to using Opera, and Opera crashed on me (as in, first it would not allow me to click on anything, then my mouse froze, followed by a beep, and then it restarted and brought me to a blue screen, of which I couldn't even read because it went by too fast, then my computer restarted as usual). I was quite frustrated, as every time I tried to use Opera it did this. Okay, I said, I will use CHROME! So I use Chrome, but after trying to watch a video a friend had posted on facebook, it had done the same thing. The entire time I am using Firefox to speak to a friend to help me fix whatever is wrong.

I downloaded and installed CCleaner and did what he said to clean everything. This did not work. Then I tried a System Restore to last week. This also did not work. Opera and Chrome still made my computer crash.

So I just decided I would use Firefox. I quit using Firefox a while back because I found it slow and painful, along with the fact it wouldn't allow me to view livestreams, which is why I switched to Opera. So I went onto Firefox. Everything was good for an hour, I went about my business, and then went to type something into Google, and bam, it happened again.

Perplexed and frustrated, I had no idea what to do at this moment. The computer tower is now unplugged and sitting on my dining room table, waiting to be taken to the computer repair shop, which will cost some money, and probably a lot. Would anyone here know any way of solving this problem? I seriously can't figure out what to do.

Right now I am using my basement computer, and it's pretty gross down here and I wouldn't like to be using it that much... Also spiders all over the place and I don't think they like me.

So any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Uninstall flash player have a test around the net and such for a while to prove it was flash player causing the issues and then reinstall it.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried that, it didn't work. Still crashed everything.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Well actually a real question is.

How long do you get out of it between crashes hours or minutes?

And are you 100% its related to browsers a.k.a if you leave it on the desktop for 30 mins to an hour/however long you get on a browser before it crashes.

Narrowing it down helps a lot with fixing problems.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Alrighty, I will try that out. Be back in a few hours to report.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Networking Team |Tech

I edited my post hopefully you read it before you do it like I said the first time.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

It was mostly when I was viewing on the internet, but I can't be totally sure as I mostly use my computer for the internet and don't use it for much of anything else (right now anyways). I am gonna leave it on windows for now for the next couple of hours and then I will go check and see if it has restarted at all.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Luy, the first thing I would try is to update your network card drivers. Click the Start button, then Run, then type devmgmt.msc. Scroll down to Network adapters and right click on your network card. Select update driver and let Windows automatically search for a newer one.

Since you got a blue screen, Windows leaves a file behind that can be analyzed to help find the problem. Click this link and read the instructions on how to download a couple files then attach the results to a new post.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
Luy, the first thing I would try is to update your network card drivers. Click the Start button, then Run, then type devmgmt.msc. Scroll down to Network adapters and right click on your network card. Select update driver and let Windows automatically search for a newer one.

Since you got a blue screen, Windows leaves a file behind that can be analyzed to help find the problem. Click this link and read the instructions on how to download a couple files then attach the results to a new post.
It wouldn't update, it couldn't find anything.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

It is now 11:57. I have left the thing on since at least 7:19. So does this clear that up?

The network card drivers couldn't find any updates also...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Did you do something that would have repaired the problem?? Ya lost me there.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
Registered Member

No, I was told to turn on my computer and leave it on for an hour or so to see if it would crash without going onto the internet. I left it on starting at 7:19 and last I checked it was 11:57 and was still on and running. So that rules out overheating.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Ok. The only thing that will shed some light on what's causing the problem is the crash dump files that are generated by Windows when you get a blue screen. If you read the link I posted above, there is a program you can run that will collect some data and you attach those files to your next post. We can take a look and try to find the problem.

Also, do you have antivirus software installed, have you scanned your computer lately?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yes just yesterday I ran AVG after the first crash. It didn't find any viruses or anything... But, I'll run it again tonight while I am sleeping just to be safe.

And I am not sure how I am going to be able to download any of the files in that link onto my crashing computer as it might crash.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Run a System Restore to a time prior to when this started happening. Run chkdsk.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

I have done a system restore to last week, it did not work and the entire thing crashed the SECOND I opened firefox.

What do I do with chkdsk? What will that do and how do I do it?

Also for some reason the computer in question has lost internet connectivity and I cannot reconnect though I will keep trying.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luy22 View Post
Yes just yesterday I ran AVG after the first crash. It didn't find any viruses or anything... But, I'll run it again tonight while I am sleeping just to be safe.

And I am not sure how I am going to be able to download any of the files in that link onto my crashing computer as it might crash.
You can download the files and run them off a USB flash drive in the other computer if you have one.

If you go into Control Panel, then Add & Remove Programs, scroll down in the list and uninstall Adobe Flash.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Registered Member

I have uninstalled it. That did nothing.

And I'll try out the usb thing tomorrow.

But what will chkdsk do and how do i run it?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
Registered Member

Ran AVG while I was asleep. Not a single virus was found.

Chkdsk doesn't work, I don't know why. Also tried chkdsk volume:/f, which also did not work. It says it can't run because the volume is already in use, would I like to run it at the next startup.

Having trouble finding a USB stick.

Boy this isn't a fun week.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #20
Registered Member

It's not letting me edit the above post. I found a USB drive and I am gonna bring the BSOD files up to the computer in question.

How would I go about finding the answers to these? I know that the OS is Windows XP but that's about it...

· OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ?
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system?
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
· Age of system (hardware)
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?

· CPU
· Video Card
· MotherBoard
· Power Supply - brand & wattage

· System Manufacturer
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)