Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

All Internet connection disappeared

This is a discussion on All Internet connection disappeared within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Norton Internet Security 2007 stopped working, all internet connections are gone. I must have been hit with a virus but

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Norton Internet Security 2007 stopped working, all internet connections are gone. I must have been hit with a virus but I don't know how. My computer was downloading from E-Mule. I have xp with service pack 2.
I cannot even make a internet connection with the Internet Wizzard. When I use it nothing shows up at the end. I have DSL. I just registered so I am new at this, thanks Dennis

Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Vheissu_

Hey Dclempa,

Try this:
  • Go to start then click run.
  • Type: Services.msc
  • Now a list of services should be visible, we only want to look at a couple of important ones though.
  • Firstly look for: Remote Access Connection Manager and see if it is started or not.
  • If it's not started right click it, then click properties. Click the start button it is beside the Stop button and then set the startup type to Automatic.

Then try your DSL connection now.

Hope this was of some help to your problem.

Kind Regards,

Dwayne, C.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

It is started and is set to manual
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ok Dclempa,

Firstly do you know the reason why Norton Internet Security stopped working if known? Have you tried, uninstalling Norton Internet Security and then reinstalling it by any chance sounds to me that Norton could be the culprit and has somehow made your internet connection rely on Norton or something by changing settings, uninstalling might reverse it, you could give it a try.

Let me know if this doesn't solve your problem and we'll work out something else.

Good luck,

Dwayne, C.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

I was not at the computer when it was downloading from E-Mule. I went to computer and it was off line. I tried to get back on line and nothing happened. I thought that Norton might be effecting my computer. So I tried to open Norton and it said some file was missing. So I thought that maybe a virus hit my computer. So I removed Norton with their removal tool off their website. I have experience with Norton. Then I went to
reinstall Norton and it will not reinstall and error 9999,171 comes up. I talked to Norton and they know what the problem is. It has to do with a corrupted file in the temp location. However in order to fix this they were going to go into my computer remotely
with my permission and fix the problem. According to the internet this is a big problem for Norton but they said they could fix it. Well I told them that I would get back to them when I could get this computer on line. I am a web designer and have four computer but I only really use these two computer for work. I use to own a ISP
so I know a little but not to much technical stuff like this. When this happened I was actually on a wireless network. So I have one computer hardwired which works perfect,
and Paradyne modeum from telephone company, D-Link router, and I had a Linksey wireless adapter on the computer that went out. The wirless router is still sending out
a signal because my laptop can connect to it. So everything in the internet connection
page on the computer is gone and the Wizzard will not make anykind of connection.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hey again Dclempa,

You could save yourself all of this hassle of Norton tech support and just get your windows Cd out and perform a repair of your Windows installation, you won't lose any files this way and it should fix your problem.

Another thing to try is, restart your computer and boot into safe mode with networking and then try and access the Internet if it works then you know Norton has messed something up.

Good luck again,

Dwayne, C.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #7
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

It is likely you have an infection, before we ask you to got to the HJT help section please do this:

Click Start =>Run, type in CMD, press OK.

Copy and paste this into the Command prompt:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Press Enter

Then copy and paste this in:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Press Enter.

When finished restart your computer.

"Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going"
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

I will try safe mode, thanks for all of your help. It's nice to know somebody out there
really cares about helping people like me. Thanks Dwayne
Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hey no problem-O, always glad to help people out with their problems.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Dwayne, the computer will not start in safe mode. It starts and then after one page of configurations, it returns to the safe mode screen. So do you think reinstalling the operating system will work? Thanks again
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #11
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Please try the fix I posted above. Thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #12
Registered Member

I am doing it now, thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
Registered Member

The first command reset the Winsock Catalog but the other command came up with
some command may not be available. Then it said "Class not registered" Still will not go to internet and will not open in safe mode
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #14
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

I think it is most likely a malware infection:

I would recommend that you go here; read and follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, to here. (Just click on the coloured links.)

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

Good luck

Please also remember DO NOT post your logs in this thread, please start a new thread here. (Just click on the coloured link.) and post the logs.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #15
Registered Member

I am very confused as to what to do but I did go to the first click and try to follow the
steps but the computer I am trying to fix will not connect to the internet so I cannot
follow the stepts. Please advise, thanks Dennis
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #16
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Sorry for not being very clear.

Please go to this page Here follow the steps for Deckards System Scanner, you will probably have to download it on another computer then transfer it to the machine with no connection. When you get the logs, please create a new thread Here[/B]

Closed Thread