Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After malware removal, browsers will not open.

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GroverCleveland 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for taking your time to help me with my problem. I am trying to fix my brothers HP mini 110 netbook with the main problem being that it would not connect to the internet. I restored the internet connection by doing the following:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
The internet connection is there now, but the browsers will not open. I updated the BIOS and installed PC Tools Spyware Doctor + Antivirus as well as PC Tools Registry Mechanic. Although both programs found a lot of issues, the browser issue still exists. When I try to open the browser, I get the following error message:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.
This is the error that appears for all of the internet browsers. Other .exe files seem to work fine and I can access command prompt and the registry editor. Any help is appreciated. I have been working on fixing this computer for 48 hours now and have absolutely no luck. Thank you in advance everyone!

#3 ·
Try a clean uninstall and reinstall of Firefox or any other browser you have that's not working. Chances are the infection corrupted the .exe's and the removal of it also removed them. It could also be that they are simply broken/corrupted are still there. Either way, reinstalling should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.