Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Admin pass bypass - no keyboard available

This is a discussion on Admin pass bypass - no keyboard available within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK guys, here's one for ya and so far none of my techie friends have come up with a solution.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

OK guys, here's one for ya and so far none of my techie friends have come up with a solution.

I have an Acer 2012 WLMi laptop that unfortunately took a drink across its keyboard. I have purchased a new keyboard but unfortunately it does not work, all I can assume is that I fried the bridge.

I am unable to plug in a USB keyboard because I don't have administrator privileges, when I try, I am asked for the admin name & password, neither of which I can remember.

When I boot up, I get to the welcome screen and because I can't use the keyboard to log in as myself, I have to log in as a guest. When I then try to plug in any USB hardware, I'm told I don't have sufficient privileges.

I can't help but think that knowing Microsoft's cavalier attitude towards security, that there must be a way around this. Unfortunately neither my techie frinds nor I have found it yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated but please bear in mind: I CANNOT USE A KEYBOARD!

Thanks in anticipation.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Unfortunately we cannot assist you with bypassing the administrator password. The username would be administrator (unless you changed it) and the password defaults to no password unless you set one when windows was installed.

I've never been prompted for username/password when installing a USB keyboard, just plug it in before starting your PC up and see if it works (can you get into the BIOS with the USB keyboard?)

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

I simply can't get past "not having the privileges to install new hardware".

I have a laptop HD caddy, I can remove the HD and then dig into it, I just don't know what I'm looking for. Surely there must be a registry hack?

Unless someone comes along with a dirt-cheap MOBO, I'm getting around to buying a new laptop and then stripping what I've got down to its component parts and selling them on ebay
Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Unfortunately, if you cannot get the USB keyboard to work then there is nothing else we can do. Perhaps take it somewhere and see if they can repair it.

As I previously said, we simply cannot help you bypass the admin password, regardless of the reason, because it violates the rules of this forum.

I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Unfortunately, if you cannot get the USB keyboard to work then there is nothing else we can do. Perhaps take it somewhere and see if they can repair it.

As I previously said, we simply cannot help you bypass the admin password, regardless of the reason, because it violates the rules of this forum.
OK, I can accept the reasoning behind that decision. Any ideas as to how I can effect a repair to the keyboard bridge or is it a new MOBO I'm looking at?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

I would say probably a new motherboard, though I'm not very familiar with the hardware layout of motherboards. I'm not sure if that is a piece that can be repaired or not. I know you can replace the BIOS chip, capacitors, etc... but I'm not sure about this one.

Closed Thread