Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Activated XP asks for activation again

This is a discussion on Activated XP asks for activation again within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone :) I would like to ask a noob question about Windows activation. The computer that I am talking

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hello everyone :)

I would like to ask a noob question about Windows activation. The computer that I am talking about has XP (SP2) and it was activated over the net. It has not been tampered with (I mean no hardware changes), but it has suddenly decided to ask for activation. Could this be the result of a virus infection? Would you recommend a re-format/fresh install of XP? The computer displaying this annoying behaviour has had a lot of software installed and removed, especially the antivirus and games. Is there some way to salvage the OS? Hope someone here recognizes the problem and can post a solution.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Does the reappearance of the activation ask for your name/email/etc? If so then it's asking you if you would like to register your copy (different from activation). Also, have you been able to use this copy of XP for a period of time? You can use the OS for 30 days before it asks you for activation. However you said that it had already been activated, so you may want to give Microsoft a call to make sure they actually followed through on the activation and that you haven't just been using the free 30 days.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Ty for the reply,sir. No, it doesn't seem to be the registration that it is asking. This installation of the XP on this computer has been running for more than a year now sir. All this time it worked well enough, except for the occasional hiccups. The kids who use it keeps installing and deleting stuff . Could a software have played up with the activation when it was installed/deleted? Could a virus be on the loose? I dislike having to re-activate it because there is a limit to the number of times XP can be activated normally doesn't it? But if re-activation is the only way out, I'll do that.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Every time your system boots, Windows checks to see if it is still installed on the same hardware. If the hardware doesn’t match you will be unable to do much more than backup your files until you call Microsoft that your system broke down, had to be rebuilt and thus have to get a new release code off them.

What hardware does Windows check?
The system checks these ten categories of hardware:

* Display Adapter
* SCSI Adapter
* IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
* Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
* RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
* Processor Type
* Processor Serial Number
* Hard Drive Device
* Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
* CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

Windows XP then creates and records a number based on the first device of each type that was found during the setup and stores this number on your harddrive. When setting up, this gets sent to Microsoft with the product ID.

Even if you do a complete format the Windows activation center will be contacted again because this information doesn't exist on the computer itself and if the hardware is mostly the same then this can be done by an automated call without you having to speak to anyone.
If some things have been deleted (drivers, system files), this the only thing I can imagine causing the problem. Try making sure that all the device drivers are correct and up-to-date. If that still doesn't work you'll have to call Microsoft to get another key and/or rectify the problem.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, the xp you have is it OEM?
or Retail
did it come with the PC?
if it is OEM no activation is required, but i think with retail you have to as you are using it for more than one pc, hence a higher price of payment.

i think as mentioned the only think you could try is updating over the phone.

regarding program installed/uninstalled it should be fine. when you format pc it remove everything. although data is still there until overwritten it is hidden.

this is for future reference, it might help if next time someone else updates

1) browse to C:\windows\system32\ you might have to click view hidden files
2) find the files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak, copy them to cd or usb before pc format
3) once pc has been formatted, when asked to activate click skip
4) go to C:\windows\system32 again find the file wpa.dbl and rename to wpadbl.new and fin wpa.bak if there and rename to wpabak.new
5) now copy the two files you backed up to C:\windows\system32

i tried on OEM it doesn't work, but on all other it does. it only works for that particular machine as mentioned somewhere else because it contain the hardware information.
although it doesn't fix your problem it prevent it.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Mikhalkov, sir, ty for the post, I'll see about the device drivers.
faradd, sir, it is a retail version of XP I think- It did not come with the computer anyway. I'll check and report back ASAP.Ty for the product activation trick,sir.

If I may ask another q, I just installed SP3 onto my puter and it started giving bsod while booting up.I tried the intelppm thing but it still got bsod(and my processor is an intel btw).Uninstalled SP3 and I booted in fine. Does this mean I am not going to be able to install SP3 at all?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #7
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, do you know the exact BSOD you were displayed.
I am not exactly sure but maybe you did not have enough hard disk space available.
or probably compatibality issue.
It is for this reason that i have not installed sp3 yet, still sp2. As long as you have the critical updates, and good antivirus software you should be fine.
Maybe i will waite a little longer until it is properley fixed.

ps, if you install sp3 again in the near future try disabling pc from restarting, that way you will know the error and what is causing this.

1) right click on my computer, choose properties
2) click advance, then go to start up and recovery
3) in the new windows uncheck restart pc
4) click ok, apply and reboot machine.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Thank you for replying sir. The bsod screen suggested that I should look at my display adapter. It also said >> 0x0000007E (0x80000003,0x80ACB755, 0xBA4FB82C, 0xBA4FB528). I hope you can make sense out of that sir.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, i wasn't really sure about the stop error so i searched and found something useful.

1) Boot your computer in Safe Mode. This can usually be done by hitting F8 on your keyboard while your computer boots, and then selecting "Safe Mode".

2) Click the START button located at the bottom-left corner of the desktop. When the Start menu opens, click RUN and type Regedit. Click OK when you are done. This will open the Registry Editor

3) Click on the plus signs to navigate to the following registry entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Intelppm.

4) Look in the right column and locate the entry named START. Double-click this entry. Change the number to 4 and click OK. You can now close the Registry Editor.

5) Restart your computer. Windows XP Service Pack 3 will now boot normally.
that seems quite valid as it is referring to service section.
in addition to that, you could try only connecting your monitor, mouse, keyboard. to see if there is a problem with printer or modem etc.
hope fully that might fix it, anyway i learned soemthing new there.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I tried that intelppm thing sir, but it doesnt work for me for some reason. I still get bsod with SP3. If I may, I'd like to ask a couple more questions.
When I started to install Windows it showed me the different partitions with 8Mb of diskspace being shown as non-partitioned space.Is it just sloppy parititioning or is there a reason for that 8Mb being unused?
I also had to choose between different types of formatting- what is the difference between normal format and quick format?
Anyhow I managed to get Windows working but ran into a minor problem: When trying to connect a Motorola phone to the puter via USB port,it wouldn't get recognized.But a normal USB thumb drive would work okay.Somehow, after fiddling with the phone a bit, it got recognized by the computer but double clicking/right clicking and choosing 'open' would give me an 'access denied' message but I could choose the 'search' function to seek out the files in it. Could it be the USB port playing up? I had installed the USB drivers that came with the motherboard.
I hope someone would answer these rather noobish questions.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, sorry to hear that didn't work.
1) Non-Partition in basic language is an area not used by your hard drive, it is not important, if you want to add that 8mb to your total, you need to delete your current partition, which you can do by pressing d and then l, anyway it shows on the screen.

then you will have all your hard disk as non-partition or not allocated, which then you use to install your operating system.

2) Well a normal format ntfs files system is a much longer procedure, the programs tries to delete as much data as it can from different directories, thus why it is longer.

Quick format like the name just goes and delete the data that is required to make previous data un usable. it delete areas like C:\ ntldr and such so it only delete fewer sectors.
like a friend once said if you want you car painted, would you like it done quickly and have problems later down the line, or take your time?.

3) here is a quick tip, if you ever get usb not recongnised try pluggin it in at the back port, if you still have problem take all the cables from your pc and leave it off for 30 mins. you can also try delete the usb ports and hubd from device manager and restarting pc (it detects it auto when restarting, any way, are you trying to access data directly from the phone or has this phone got memory card.
if you have memory card try that as well. i would recommend that you use the package provided by your phone, this will have better options.
Are you also safely removing your phone each time you connecting it? this can cause problems if you don't!

by the way your phone doesn't have a locking mechanism does it? it some phone you have to click on usb mode etc.

this might work for now

hold windows key, located in between ctrl and alt, and press e. this will get windows explorer.
expand the arrow and you should get to see your work.

hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Ty for taking the time to explain the stuff to me,sir. :) The phone is a W230 Motorola. I dont know about the memory card, I think it is having just the built in memory and that we are trying to access the phone directly using a cable. Thank you for the tips,sir, I will try them and see if it works.tyvm
Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #13
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hey, no probs, how did you get windows activated anyway? did you phone microsoft?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

That sir, is the problem I am facing with that computer now. I formatted the drives, installed XP SP2, and instead of the 30 days trial period, it has started asking me whether I want to activate. It is not allowing me to log in at all. Says I have to activate XP before logging in. The problem is, it requires me to log in to access the internet - I mean I have to enter into Windows and sign in to the ISP page to be able to access the internet. But I cant get into Windows unless I activate it. So I am in a fix now, and dont know what to do except formatting and installing XP again?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #15
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

IF you reformatted and installed then let the auto activation run that is a normal part of a reinstall. How would XP know it was activated? Reformatting wipes the data off the drive.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

....no one here will help you crack activation. do you understand?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

wrench97, sir, I am not saying I want to get around activation, what I mean is, when I usually format my computer,it gives me 30 days to activate XP in.I can log into Windows XP and use it for 30 days before it locks me out. However, on this computer I am talking about, I formatted,installed XP and the very next day it locked me out. I cannot activate XP without logging into Windows, but I cant log into Windows unless I activate, so this thing is a catch 22. I just wanted to know how I could activate Windows in this scenario?

Fishphood, sir, I am not looking for a way to by-pass the activation!! I merely said I want to activate XP, not crack activation. The XP I installed is an original disc, and it has been activated only once, so why would I want to crack activation?? After formatting and re-installing XP, I thought I would get 30 days to activate XP in, but it is right away blocking me from logging into Windows. I need to be logged into Windows to establish a net connection. I have to bring up IE, and log into the ISP account before I can access the net. But how can I bring up IE and establish a net connection without being able to get inside Windows? That,sir, is what I am asking. There is no question of cracking XP activation. I am sorry about my terrible english, I guess I am not making myself clear.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
FAQ
Registered Member

By any chance, did you do a repair install instead of a fresh install? A repair install may do that. This activation problem happened to my oem XP once long time ago. I just clicked "activate" and chose "internet". It went through in seconds. Since you are shut out of Windows, I suggest that you do a fresh install and activate through the internet.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Ty for replying,sir. I formatted all the partitions before I installed Win XP,so that makes it a fresh install doesnt it? I,sir,cannot just choose 'internet' without being able to bring up IE ,as I need to log in to the ISP's account page before I can get online. I suppose the only way out is,as you say, a fresh install again and then activating it right away. *groans at the thought of having to install everything yet again*.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #20
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You can normally activate it when locked out but in your case af having to log into the ISP first? I guess not, The activation process needs a internet connection or it should be giving you a toll free number to call either way it will work, If you have files you don't want to lose you cold try a repair install not sure if it work on a activation locked system but it is worth a try> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XP...install.htm#RI

Closed Thread