Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Activate windows in 3 days?

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
I have my obsolete xp box set up as a jukebox. It hasn't been online since it went out of support. Today I fire it up to rock-out and what happens? I get this announcement;

"Since Windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days.
Do you want to reactivate Windows now?"

Is this the real deal? It can't be a virus 'cause I haven't been onlne. What exactly happens if I refuse this "request"? How does Microsoft know anything about an offline box?

Since I have gutted this box to free up space for music, I will have to make some effort to comply with this ridiculous demand. It's an effort that I have absolutely no interest in doing. I have my obsolete box just exactly how I want it and I really don't appreciate falling victim to pre-installed Microsoft malicious mal-ware.

Advise anyone?

#3 ·
Microsoft Windows is set to recognize hardware changes that happen on your computer. If you upgrade any hardware, then Windows will automatically ask you to Re-Activate Windows. If you have a legal version of Windows that was previously activated, this is a simple procedure, if you are online just activate now and it will reactivate and you will be good to go.
If you have problems you can call Microsoft and they will help you activate. If you have a pirated copy of Windows, you will need to purchase a product key or reinstall Windows.

#4 ·
Microsoft Windows is set to recognize hardware changes that happen on your computer. If you upgrade any hardware, then Windows will automatically ask you to Re-Activate Windows. If you have a legal version of Windows that was previously activated, this is a simple procedure, if you are online just activate now and it will reactivate and you will be good to go.
If you have problems you can call Microsoft and they will help you activate. If you have a pirated copy of Windows, you will need to purchase a product key or reinstall Windows.
I have the version of xp that was on the box when I got it. It has been good for over a decade. It was without any disc, however there is a very official looking hologram sticker on the front that MAY have the proper product key on it. The only change is my old hard drive, the one with 65000 hours on it, was cloned to a brand new one. I then stripped every non music related program out of it before loading it to 85% capacity with wma files.

That was in April 2014. This box has rocked hard and continuously just like this for almost a year, Why would it see changes now?

If you changed the motherboard, RAM, or other hardware component, Windows will believe that you changed the PC.

After three days, Windows will become unactivated. All you need to do is reactivate it and enter your Windows installation CD.

Masterchiefxx17, you say "Windows will become unactivated". What exactly does this mean? Are you saying that Microsoft has intentionally integrated malware into Win XP with the intention of vandalizing my paid-up installation? That they can and will unilaterally deactivate privately owned property? With premeditation they routinely install malicious code with the intention to deprive people of their rightful expectation of privacy and of functionality of products?

Please, let me be understanding this correctly. Tomorrow I will speak to the millionaire businessman that I got this computer from! He will loose his mind. His corporate lawyers will be filing writs before Tuesday evening if he thinks that Microsoft has surreptitious code written into his business equipment! Aaaaaa hahahaha!!! My old employer is the most conspiratorial secretive and vindictive human being I have ever met. He will instantly recognize this as an investment opportunity.

Tomorrow is going to be so much fun....... When I am done talking to old boy there will be spittle on his lips and sweat on his brow, such fun!

#5 ·
Call Microsoft if you can't or don't want to activate online. With the product key you can do via touchtone. If you don't have a product key but have an official disk they can take the information from it and issue you a new product key with which to activate.

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
  2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
  3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
  4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
  5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.
How to activate Windows XP

#9 ·
I am just amused by the thought of my what old boy's reaction is going to be when he realizes that the integrity of his entire corporation and the livelihood of close to 600 people are no more than dust in Microsoft's wind. He will be enraged that he even has to answer to them for upgrading/maintaining his own personal property.

No, I am not making up any story at all. I am just going to show an angry and dangerous millionaire that Microsoft can and will disable his infrastructure, and do it on autopilot without a human ever looking at it. That it's easily revalidated won't matter to him a bit. What will matter is that people who take lots of money yearly, people who he considers to be suppliers or vendors have the power to shut him down. Sure, now it's just a jukebox. Several years ago it ran his payroll.

I worked for this man 21 years and I would bet the farm on how he will respond. He will take his hardware back, let it expire, manufacture a million dollars of losses (on paper), and jam up the case in court. He will do it all just for fun and to exercise his lazy lawyers.

I'm not saying that David can prevail against Goliath, but I bet it never gets to court and that his software upgrades are free for the next 10 years. Making mountains from molehills is what he does, and he always gets paid well to do it.

As for me, I will just go to the warehouse and pick out another outdated box to use as my music server. There are dozens of them to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.