Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Accessing Win XP on old harddisk to uninstall programs after installing new harddisk

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  speedster123 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I need some advice.

I recently replaced my old harddisk to a new harddisk. The old harddisk has windows xp home and other programs installed.

I did not format the old harddisk, I only took out the old harddisk and replaced it with a new harddisk. I then installed windows xp home to the new harddisk.

While I am installing programs on the new harddisk, I discovered that one of the programs do not allow me to activate the program license because I have previously activated the program on my old windows. I need to do a proper uninstallation to release the license, then I can activate the license of the program in the new harddisk.

My question is, can I take out my current new harddisk, replace it with the old harddisk, boot up as normal into the old harddisk windows, uninstall the program inside the old harddisk, then replace the old hardisk with my new harddisk again.

Will I be able to access the old windows on the old harddisk?
Will it mess up my current windows/programs settings?
Will my current new harddisk windows be able to work as normal after accessing the old harddisk windows?
I thought of accessing the old harddisk as a slave, but I do not know if it is possible to access the old harddisk and do a proper uninstall of the program?
Is there any better way of uninstalling the program on my old harddisk?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
That means if I take out my current new harddisk, and replace it with the old harddisk, I can boot up into the old windows and uninstall the program. After that, I will take out the old harddisk and replace it with the new harddisk again. Everything will resume as normal right?

I am very happy with my current new harddisk settings, programs and files. I am just worried if I were to access the old harddisk windows, it would mess up registry or settings that will cause a mess/problems to my windows on the new harddisk, causing my new windows conflicts or problems.

#4 ·
Think about it - each drive has its' OWN registry, so installing one-at-a-time they cannot affect each other.

Just a side question - you confirmed with the software company that an uninstall of the original will allow you to reinstall again? Does the comp have to be online when you do it so they know you uninstalled or just how does that work?

#5 ·
CCT, thanks for clarifying. I am a noob about registry stuff, so initially I thought some settings/configurations might be stored in registry/bios/motherboard or somewhere else that could cause conflicts.

I did not confirm with the software company yet. I want to try uninstalling the program to see if it works before I contact the software company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.