Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Accessing CD in XP locks computer

This is a discussion on Accessing CD in XP locks computer within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I hope someone here can help me. I recently built a computer for a friend and it has had

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I hope someone here can help me. I recently built a computer for a friend and it has had a problem since day one where when you insert a cd and then try to access the disc the computer locks up. The weird thing is it's not every time. Sometimes you can switch out 5-10 discs before it does it. Also the strange thing is you can always access a disc if you boot up with the disc in the drive. I already switched out the drive. It started with a NEC DVD burner and now it has a Liteon. It's a MSI 945PL-Neo-F MB if that matters. Also in safe mode I never got it to lock up when switching discs. So any good ideas here? I tried just about everything I could think of. Tried switching to PIO only mode on the controller and that didn't seem to help.