Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

A Background Colour has suddenly appeared on all my Desktop Icons description text.

This is a discussion on A Background Colour has suddenly appeared on all my Desktop Icons description text. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After saving an image file to my desktop, the Desktop Icons appearance has changed. Can you tell me how to

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

After saving an image file to my desktop, the Desktop Icons appearance has changed.
Can you tell me how to get rid of the blue background which suddenly appeared behind all my desktop icons and the text with them?

It was originally clear, see through, before I performed the actions below.
See this text below, that was copied from the dialog box which appeared when I tried to copy an image to the desktop.
As it says, it asked me if I wanted to add this image to my Active Desktop, I needed to save a copy.
Do you want to continue? I then clicked on Yes.

----------------------
Active Desktop
----------------------
In order to add this item to your Active Desktop, you need to save a copy of the picture.

Do you want to continue?
-------------
Yes No
-------------

The image, a photo that I've transferred from my digital camera, placed it onto a word document, then I took a copy from the word document to the desktop. But immediately after that, all the icons then ended up with the text having a bright blue background.

I have tried going into Control Panel and fiddling around with all the options in the Display tab, but all I can do is change that colour, not remove it. I want to change it back to the way it was, no colour, just text clear on the wallpaper screen.

I can attach a file copy of my desktop showing you the way it now is.
The image file icon saved to the desktop is a .jpg and you can see it there at the bottom of 4th column of icons. This icon shows as Paint Shop Pro logo, (I have no problems with Paint Shop Pro).
I just wonder why and what happened to everything?
Can you help me to find the option to put the desktop icons and their text back to the "clear" setting?

I have also just noticed that the sound I have used for several years, to notify me when email is downloaded has also changed back to the default setting, "Windows XP notify.wav". isn't that weird?
I've just changed it back to "tada.wav" again.

So there also is a change that I did not go in and change??

Does this mean that I may have a bug or virus in my computer?

Would you have any idea or can you explain to me why these things are happening on my computer without me actually making those changes?
I look forward to your advice.

Can somebody please reply and give me the instructions to change the desktop icon text background back to clear?

Thanks

Suzee
Note: I also saved the attached screenshot onto my desktop as a file and I received the same dialog box about saving it first and then it pasted to my desktop.
But I'm sure this dialog box question has never appeared before those last 2 saves onto my desktop? Is it because these newly copied images have never been saved as a file before they've been pasted to my desktop?
And maybe this has nothing to do with the icon colour changes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moz-screenshot-10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	36112  

Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi Suzee3 !

Right-click my computer => properties=> advanced => settings under performances => tick "use dropdown shadows for icon labels". Then right-click an unused place on the desktop => arrange icons by => untick "lock web items".

Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

If justpassigby's fix does not work try this one:

Right click My Computer>Properties.
Click Advanced tab.
Click the settings button in the Performance section.
In Performance Options, click the Visual Effects tab.
Select Custom by clicking the radio button.
Scroll down the list and place a check by "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".
Click OK on all boxes.
That should get rid of the background color and let the desktop show.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi ThorXP,
Thank you for your help. I have followed your directions, eve though I found the right area of the My Computer Properties by opening My Computer first. Selected Advanced, Performance, Visual Effects, looked at the list, and found all those already were "ticked" selected the radio button Custom and clicked OK on all the boxes to close them one by one. I ent back to look at the desktop, but everything was the same as before this.
The blue colour is still in the background behind all desktop icons. Basically I really didn't have to change anything in the My Computer, Propoerties, Advanced, Performanceor Visual Effects at all. As everything you asked me to do was already that way.
But I did restart my system and when the first part of my screen opened, I noticed one thing had changed, as the whole screen started off as the same blue colour as the colour blue background on the text with the desktop icons. Then the icons appeared, with the blue background text of each icon. Then the wallpaper appeared behind that. So its really just the same. Your instructions haven't removed the text background colour, back to clear.
So do you have any other suggestions?
I'm keen to get it back the way it was.
I look forward t your help again.
Regards
Suzee
Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Justpassingby,
Thank you for your help. I have followed your directions, even though I found the right area of the My Computer Properties by opening My Computer first. Selected Advanced, Performance, Visual Effects, looked at the list, and found all those already were "ticked" selected the radio button Custom and clicked OK on all the boxes to close them one by one. I ent back to look at the desktop, but everything was the same as before this.
The blue colour is still in the background behind all desktop icons. Basically I really didn't have to change anything in the My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance or Visual Effects at all. As everything you asked me to do was already that way.
But I did restart my system and when the first part of my screen opened, I noticed one thing had changed, as the whole screen started off as the same blue colour as the colour blue background on the text with the desktop icons. Then the icons appeared, with the blue background text of each icon. Then the wallpaper appeared behind that. So its really just the same. Also right clicked the unused area of the desktop and selected "arrange icons by", untick " lock web items" but that was already unticked as well.
By following your your instructions and same for ThorXP, haven't removed the text background colour, back to clear.
So do you have any other suggestions?
I'm keen to get it back the way it was.
I look forward to your help again.
Regards
Suzee
Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello Suzee

I think you are getting that effect because you enabled "Active Desktop".
Why did you do that?

Check these settings
1. Right-click on the desktop/Properties
Click the Desktop tab
Click the Customized Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in
Make sure nothing is checked in the Web pages list.
Make sure the “Lock desktop items” checkbox is not checked.

2. Disable active desktop.
Right click blank area of desktop => click properties =>
Desktop tab => click Customize Desktop => Web Tab
Make sure all items listed in the box are unchecked.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi Dunedin,
Thank you ! you are my saviour !
That has removed the colour from behind the text labels.
And thank goodness you came along when you did.
The other guys, didn't think in the same way as you. I guess you read my replies to both of them after I'd followed their instructions?
I'm so grateful to have this forum to ask for help, thanks to you all for trying.

By the way I didn't choose to enable "Active Desktop". It must have happened when I right clicked, selected to paste the copied photo onto the desktop.The dialog box with the question was called "Active Desktop", it said I needed to save it as a file, so is that where I went wrong?
I don't know how I did it?
Unless I unknowingly did a shortcut function while pasting the photo file onto my desktop, but it only gave me the option to say "yes" or "no" when I was asked. What would have happened if I'd selected "no"?

I really do appreciate all these helpful replies on the TSF.
They're good for me to learn for myself and my work. I've been teaching basic computer skills to private clients for 8 years, and some solutions can be helpful if ever I need to help my clients. I'm continually learning something useful every day, just by being curious, adventurous and totally addicted to using my own computer and the internet at home on a daily basis. At least I'm brave and bold enough to ask others who I trust have more knowledge in certain areas than I.

My regular challenge is teaching those clients who are starting off for the first time on Vista. And I don't even have it here. I'm quite happy to stick with Windows XP Pro and Office XP Pro at home. Quite often I'm teaching computer skills to newbies all about the new features of Vista as I try to discover it all myself, at the same time, trying to be confident, especially in "Word", trying to find where Microsoft have hidden the functions. If there's a drop down menu, "Custom" or "Customise", that's where it shows the old XP tools all in one box for same old functions Vista has spread all over the place. Compared to XP, Vista has too many visual buttons and wizards. The Vista creators must think most users don't have any imagination and need visual images. I'll probably be running both Vista and XP when I get my new SupaDupa PC built soon.
Eventually, I'll have no choice, but to keep moving along with the changing world of technology.

Thank you again.
Cheers,
Suzee
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

You are welcome Suzee3

Keep up the good work

Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

I too have the same problem and I have tried all the fixes you have listed but mine still stay blue. It is really annoying and would greatly appreciate some help if any one can help/

Thanks cindy
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Registered Member

Sorry - I did it again and it worked this time - thanks for the help!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Great!

I`m glad we could help you