Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

2 sticks of ram cause system to crash

This is a discussion on 2 sticks of ram cause system to crash within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a problem i have been trying to get my head around for about a week I am googled

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a problem i have been trying to get my head around for about a week I am googled out.

Last week i had 2 PCs that would start up in safe mode constantly So i reimaged them.

The first problem i noticed was that the icons were missing and when you moved the mouse and the graphics would dissappear, this happened after updating so no programs were on the system at this stage, however i was running updates.

The next problem was the error "A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error code 0x80070002.

I would click ok and it would go back to the logon screen then i would get the error there is not enough resources to load the profile the countdown would start then it would go back to the logon screen.

If i took out a stick of ram (512) the system would work fine put two in and the system went nuts. I have run a check on the ram its good.

System event ID errors are

Event 59 Side by side error
C:\windows\system32\mobsync.exe

I have downloaded NET Framework
2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK) (x86) and run this

I have downloaded VC80

I have run a full update and that did nothing.

Now when i put 2 sticks in it just restarts.

At the moment i am running a repair install

If anyone has seen this before assistance would be good.

The systems are XP SP3 attached to a 2003 SP1 server Domain

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

Hi

1. This could be your Power Supply - Have you checked your voltages and also the temperatures.

2. It could be the motherboard's one memory slot? Does this happen whenever you put the 2nd memory module in a specific slot? or does the PC work with one module in any slot?

3. Is the VGA onboard? If it is, it would be sharing your memory and that could be a reason why your graphics are getting messed up.

4. Did you test the memory with Memtest?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Albert

Thanks for the reply

This happened on 2 systems the first one had
Moby
Hard drive
Ram
Power supply all replaced

Not to sure what you mean by temp and Voltage could the voltage have been changed somehow to the ram slots.

I moved the ram two the second slot and i get the same results.

Yes the graphics are on Board..

I did run Memtest and the ram tested fine.

I did a full reinstall from XP SP2 and then installed SP3 with all the updates the system currently has 2 sticks in and is running. I will test it on the domain today to see what happens

What do you think could have caused this?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

You can look at the temperature of your System/CPU and the voltages your PSU are giving in the BIOS (usually). If your temperatures are too high or the voltages are too high or too low your PC could start acting strange.

If the voltage is not correct the motherboard (and in fact everything) would be affected as this is what the PC runs on. The components will not operate correctly if the voltages supplied to them are outside their working limits.

Does the PC, where you replaced everything, still do the same thing? Or is that one working now?

You can also check your hard drive for any errors. To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

It really sounds like a hardware problem to me so if you do not come right we should consider moving this to the hardware section.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

The pc that had everything replaced still did not work with 2 sticks but worked with one for a while, about a week i recon and so did the other one.

I put the image onto the same sort of computer and the results were the same (From another school).

I know you say it could be a hardware and if the error didn't happen on the above system i would agree with you 100%. But because of the above results i think its an update or something. Is it possible for the domain server to cause these sort of issues. Just throwing it out there.

There was also another error, when you have Man profiles on the server if the server is down you will get a temp profile, that was happening also I don't use profiles, but i do have my documents go to the server.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

problem with memory leaking or i think its because ram is not getting not enough power to another stick , making clock slowing down and /or ram/s are not pc 2100+pc 2100 (533mhz)they are may be pc2100(533mhz)+pc2700(633mhz)

some mo-bo are very sensitive to different speed and clock ram
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

The thing is these systems have been working fine for 2 years without a problem, why now and why at the same time. Im sure im missing something.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team

I can't think how software could stop a PC from working if it has 2 modules in but works if it has 1 module in? That is why I thought it would be hardware.

Could there possibly be something wrong with your image? The only 2 things that seem to be common is the image and like you say the domain controller. If it was an update causing this (I presume you mean a Microsoft update) then there would be many more computers out there giving the same problems.

Can you reimage one PC but keep it off the domain for a little while to make sure it is not the domain? Do you have an antivirus program? Could your domain controller have a virus?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

are the ram sticks you tried actually compatible with the board? just because a certain speed of ram works it does not mean all makes of that speed will work.

go into the BIOS and check your temperatures and voltages and post them on here.

We actually dealing with a similar thread in the hardware forum seems in that thread that the OPs motherboard doesn't like running the ram he has in dual channel it will only work in single channel. So try running in single if you have bein running it in dual or vice versa.

download memtest86 burn to disc and with one stick or ram installed test the ram for several passes and then swap sticks to see if there are any issues.

Also as said some motherboard do not like running two different speeds of ram at the very least the fastest speed will revert to the slowest speed and at the very worst both sticks will be different voltages and the BIOS wont know what to do about it.

As for the software I have never encountered an image that works on one pc but another, is it possible when you got the image from one school and put it on the pc in other that there is some sort of watermark or security preventing the image from being used outside that school?

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.

The Ram is standard Acer and like i said has worked for 2 years, the image has no watermark or security and i put the image onto the exact same type of system. An Acer SK50. An Image can be moved from system to system as long as the gear is the same you can cross over but you may have to do a repair.

I allready ran the memtest overnight and it came up clean no errors.

The ram is the same

CPU shutdown temp 90C
Vcore 1.26
+3.3V 3.37V
+5V 4.97V
+12V 12.03
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Just thought i would post to finalise.

After all is said and done i don't know what caused the issue, after a full reinstall and a full update from MS the 2 systems have been going for a week.

Thanks for the assistance.

Wish i had a solution.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok I have just heard that one of the machines that i did a fresh image on is still having this problem.

He can still access the system but his icons are missing only the text appears below where the icon should be.

The only difference between the two systems this one has two sticks of ram, the other one is working but for how long.

Anyone got any idea?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
Windows Tech Team

1. Have you tried to run memtest with a cold boot - leave the PC unplugged for a few hours so it can cool down and then test.

2. You can also try to test memory and CPU using prime95.

3. Have you tried to uninstall the display driver then download a newer version and install that?

4. Instead of using the image, try to load Windows XP from scratch.

5. Run the hard drive test that corresponds to your hard drive manufacturer which you can download from here. Download the ZIP file, extract the ISO and write it to CD (Do not just copy the file to the CD). If you need help doing this here is a document that should help you.
Once written to CD, boot your PC with the CD and run the advanced test.

You can also check your hard drive for any errors using chkdsk. To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

1 This is a new Hard drive.
2 This was a completley new Image.

One thing you might be onto is the graphics driver if windows update installed a driver or reference driver for the graphics card this could be the issue. I will install the graphics card from the manufacturer and see what happens.

I didn,t suspect it could be the graphics card because of all the other errors that were occuring.