Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

2 PC's dead in 2 days, Is my house haunted ?

This is a discussion on 2 PC's dead in 2 days, Is my house haunted ? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings and salutations fellow pc enthusiasts. I am stumped (i know i said i am a pc ) so here

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings and salutations fellow pc enthusiasts. I am stumped (i know i said i am a pc ) so here is the deal

Build #1
Gigabyte GA-M790x-DS4 w/ AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200 (2.6 GHz)
2 GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT
Maxtor Diamondmax 200GB HD
Vortec 480W power
Windows XP SP2

This machine had been running fine for months until 2 days ago I found it with no video. I did a reset and got one long post beep but again no video. I did this one more time and the pc failed to boot at all.

Since this was my wife's machine and since the nearest available working machine is mine, I was highly motivated to get her back up and running.

Build #2
Gigabyte GA-M59sli-s5 w/ AMD athlon x2 6400+ (3.2GHz)
2GB Patriot DDR2 PC6400 800 MHz
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
CUG 700W power

I simply moved her Maxtor over to the new machine and loaded the appropriate MB drivers and everything was running great... until about an hour ago... the machine just shuts off. I tried to power it up and nothing. I waited a few minutes and the machine did power up, but about 5 minutes later it shut down (I mean insta-off).

Build number 2 had been running as a Vista machine with no problems for months before I switched the hard drive.

As a follow-up, I installed a new power supply into build #1 with a Vista Hard Drive and the machine will flicker when the power button is pressed, but no power up. Build #2 is completely unresponsive.

What is going on ?!?!?!?!?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more info

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Tried a different power outlet or powerboard?

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Kev,

Initially I thought that the PS went bad so I replaced the PS on Build #1 and gave it a new drive and put it on an outlet in a completely different circuit in the house, it still won't boot (motherboard?). The failure of Build #2 took place on the same outlet as the first failure.

I am starting to wonder if something on the hard drive caused the motherboard to fail. Is there a virus that can do that ?. The only thing in common between the two builds was Hard drive and power outlet.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Are you using a UPS on the pc's? My guess is a power surge took them out
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

nope, just a surge supressor. There is also a laptop and a gaming rig in teh same location, both are fine
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Test both without the hard drive connected. See if the system boots to the point of looking for a boot device - obviously it will not boot to Windows in this state but it should establish if any of the other hardware is at fault. Also, as you have been working inside the case(s) you could have quite easily knocked a RAM chip or video card. With the power removed from the wall socket remove and reseat the RAM chip(s) and the video card. Test the system (still with the hard drive disconnected) - if it fires up to the boot device point then power down, reconnect the drive and test. Let us know.......

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

are you sure it is a surge protector and not a power strip. They do look alike.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

just asking for more data but on Build 1.,,,I might suspect a faulty Video card. you might try replacing it or remove it and switch to the integrated on motherboard video to see if you can at least get it to boot to a desktop with the original harddrive. I suggest this since your initial problem was loss of Video but you never really stated whether the PC was still running before you decided to do a reset! was it still powered with fans spinning and harddrive running/operating?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok guys, thanks to your questions, I started to double check my work. I broke out the ol fluke and checked the voltage to the Power strip... not surge suppressor ( I'll fix that this evening) and everything checked out ok. I opened machine two and began checking all the connections again and I found the culprit. I am using a completely modular PS rig. Even the MB power cable can be removed and it had come just loose enough to stop functioning but not enough to be readily noticeable. SO, Machine #2 is back up and running.

Machine #1 is still currently toast, however, I will pull it apart and recheck all the cables. However unlikely, I may have gotten a dead PS out of the box.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I find on Machine #1
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

It always pays to go over your connections inside the box. Glad to hear that one is running - hopefully you will have a similar problem with the other. Well done!

Closed Thread